Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaelforce 24hr cycle

Options
  • 31-01-2011 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

no gaelforce cycle this year, anybody know the reason. ( not enough money to be made ). this was well run last year, on a good trail but small entry.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Oh I can see that on their website. Bummer ...

Can I interrest you in a Ultra Marathon instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 biker41

give details please

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

biker41 wrote: »
    give details please
    It's in my signature ;)http://www.racearoundireland.com/
    A few boardsies did it last year. So did I as support crew.
    Have a look at the site, that might interrest you solo or as part of a team of 2/4/8

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I suspected that it might not be run this year due to the 2010 turnout which was massively down on 2009. It may simply be too expensive to run considering the risk of low turnout again.

I took part in 2009, where there was a big crowd. I didn't make it last year, mainly due to the timing - the 2009 one was in late September or early October, whereas 2010 was sometime in midsummer.

Entirely my personal speculation, but at when they were organising the 2010 event I reckon the organisers figured midsummer would be much better for folks than autumn, and got it wrong. I think summer didn't work for a lot of people, and the autumn scheduling was actually more conducive to a larger crowd. I may be completely and utterly wrong, but that's my theory.

Real pity as it was a great event, I hope it goes ahead in the autumn in 2012 :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's in my signature ;)http://www.racearoundireland.com/
    A few boardsies did it last year. So did I as support crew.
    Have a look at the site, that might interrest you solo or as part of a team of 2/4/8

Sounds like fun, Solo all the way :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭C3PO

biker41 wrote: »
    no gaelforce cycle this year, anybody know the reason. ( not enough money to be made ). this was well run last year, on a good trail but small entry.:confused:

A few of us were trying to put an MTB team together last year but found the practicalities of the location just too difficult! Apart from the fact that it's in the middle of nowhere, there were no motor campers allowed on site and there is no mobile phone reception in the area! I know many people would claim that these are positives rather than negatives but for people with small children and small businesses they make the event a bit impractical!

RPL1 wrote: »
    A few of us were trying to put an MTB team together last year but found the practicalities of the location just too difficult! Apart from the fact that it's in the middle of nowhere, there were no motor campers allowed on site and there is no mobile phone reception in the area! I know many people would claim that these are positives rather than negatives but for people with small children and small businesses they make the event a bit impractical!

many reasons for people not been able to do this event but location should not be one of them. there is good phone reception 200 yards from base camp.i think gaelforce only want to run events with big entries and not put anything in developing the sport.i know they are a private company and have to make a profit. gaelforce 12 ran for one year but gaelforce 6 grew year after year and so did the entry fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

Just to correct that, GF 12 ran for at least 3 years, and was the primary event. GF6 was just a novelty support race. Thus the monster was born :eek:

Enduro wrote: »
    Just to correct that, GF 12 ran for at least 3 years, and was the primary event. GF6 was just a novelty support race. Thus the monster was born :eek:

My mistake.

Advertisement