Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tripe

Options
  • 31-01-2011 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

I started a thread on the shooting forum as its a gun dog i have, just wondering what people hear will have to say..

Im going to start feeding my 11month setter tripe, just wondering how much should she get a day, should i feed it raw or cooked, as its not a complete dog food i take it i will keep her on the dog nuts aswell.

its green tripe from work by the way

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If you're going with green tripe (which for those who aren't sure, is the stomach without the contents rinsed and bleached off - the white tripe we get in the butchers shops for ourselves has been rinsed and bleached of the contents of the stomach, which given for more herbivores is grass, is green, QED green tripe) I'd feed it raw.

Green tripe isn't bad for the dog in any way - in fact it's really good for her, but at the same time feeding it on its own alongside dog nuts, I wouldn't be giving her huge amounts of it.

If you have access to green tripe from work, do you also have access to other raw foods, offal, meaty bones, so on? You could look into feeding your dog a raw meal every second day and dog nuts on the alternate day and see how she goes on it, but if you're going to swap out, say, half her dog nuts and replace it with something else, that something else needs to be balanced over time. Giving her dog nuts one day and green tripe the next isn't balance over time. You'd be better off going for raw balanced over time on alternate days, so for instance monday is dog nuts, tuesday is a piece of green tripe with some lamb riblets (raw meaty bones), wednesday dog nuts, thursday a piece of lamb's liver with some green tripe, so on.

There's a PILE of raw feeding information on the net regarding feeding your dog a raw diet. You need to observe scrupulous hygiene practices, never feed rank or spoiled meat, feed meat fit for human consumption and be careful of cross-contamination, preservatives and additives in pet meat. Otherwise my nine month old bull arab x did spectacularly well on a raw diet for five of the last six months. At the moment here it's the height of summer, and he eats slowly, and raw food doesn't go well being left out in 35 degree heat, so he's on dog nuts. I'm also feeding him a good quality tinned dogfood currently, just because the additional moisture is of good benefit to him considering it's stinking hot every day here.

When the summer's over I'll go back to alternating raw food with dog nuts here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

yea i have access to plenty off cuts of meat etc, i must do a bit of reading up on feeding raw food, was always told it drives a dog mad :rolleyes:

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

:D

Feeding them raw doesn't make them vicious, or give them a taste for blood, or encourage them to chase livestock, or any of the rest of the old wives tales.

My guy had chronic ringworm, a flea and worm infestation, and was underweight (all ribs and no bum) when I got him. Feeding him raw really helped put weight and condition on him. I fed a lot of raw meaty bones (chicken wings and legs, turkey wings and lamb riblets were favourites and most easily available), plus bones for chewing for teeth (the bone out of a leg of lamb for instance - he'd strip the meat off, chew the ends away and then I'd discard the weight-bearing middle section). I also fed lamb hearts, lamb liver, beef heart and liver, chicken liver, tripe (couldn't get green so just fed white), chicken necks and anything I could find on special, e.g. casserole or stewing meat.

Everything I fed was human-grade so it worked out quite expensively because I don't live near a wholesaler or abbatoir, and wouldn't buy pet meat because anywhere that supplies it near me, it's bulked out with crap - blitzed kidneys, too much liver and a whack of preservative. Dog did phenomenally well on the raw though (which he'd want to given the price). He was down on his pasterns when I got him and the raw feeding and a vitamin C tablet here and there solved that - he has quite nice conformation now (for a mutt :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Feeding them raw doesn't make them vicious, or give them a taste for blood, or encourage them to chase livestock, or any of the rest of the old wives tales.

My guy had chronic ringworm, a flea and worm infestation, and was underweight (all ribs and no bum) when I got him. Feeding him raw really helped put weight and condition on him. I fed a lot of raw meaty bones (chicken wings and legs, turkey wings and lamb riblets were favourites and most easily available), plus bones for chewing for teeth (the bone out of a leg of lamb for instance - he'd strip the meat off, chew the ends away and then I'd discard the weight-bearing middle section). I also fed lamb hearts, lamb liver, beef heart and liver, chicken liver, tripe (couldn't get green so just fed white), chicken necks and anything I could find on special, e.g. casserole or stewing meat.

Everything I fed was human-grade so it worked out quite expensively because I don't live near a wholesaler or abbatoir, and wouldn't buy pet meat because anywhere that supplies it near me, it's bulked out with crap - blitzed kidneys, too much liver and a whack of preservative. Dog did phenomenally well on the raw though (which he'd want to given the price). He was down on his pasterns when I got him and the raw feeding and a vitamin C tablet here and there solved that - he has quite nice conformation now (for a mutt :D).

yea i should be able to get a good load of meat for her so i will try a few different things and see what suits her

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I envy you, having access to fresh green tripe! :o

There is great info on raw feeding on this Irish website/discussion board -

www.topdog.ie

It's a great way to go but you need to make sure you get the balance right so you're not giving her too much of one nutrient, or not enough of the other. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fivestar

mmmmmmmmmmm... tripe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

I was under the impression that you can't give a dog chicken bones, raw or cooked. So am I wrong?
    Basically your saying that you can give a dog any meat on a bone that isn't cooked is that right?
    My guy loves bones that I get him from the butcher but there's very little, if any meat, on the bones. I wouldn't mind splashing out on a cut of meat with a bone in it if it is safe for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Fedding raw isn't dangerous, it doesn't give dogs the thirst for blood, make them want to eat the postman or cause worms.

I have fed my great dane raw since the day I got him. He comes from a breeder in the uk that has bred danes for over 35 years and her parents before her. He is in immaculate condition and absolutely thrives on raw.

I feed him tripe to help put weight on as great dane pups are prone to being a bit weedy as they're so energetic. I feed it raw.

Chicken bones should never be given cooked unless you fancy being on 'stool' watch. Any bones you feed should be uncooked for 2 reasons, 1. they splinter too easily when cooked and may cause internal damage that may go undetected and 2. they lose some of their goodness when cooked, a lot of the essential nutrition a dog gets from bones will be lost in cooking.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bog Bunny

Fedding raw isn't dangerous, it doesn't give dogs the thirst for blood, make them want to eat the postman or cause worms.

<snip>

Chicken bones should never be given cooked unless you fancy being on 'stool' watch. Any bones you feed should be uncooked for 2 reasons, 1. they splinter too easily when cooked and may cause internal damage that may go undetected and 2. they lose some of their goodness when cooked, a lot of the essential nutrition a dog gets from bones will be lost in cooking.

Good luck.

Good argument and advice, pixiebean22.
    When I encounter this "raw makes them bloodthirsty" I usually say that a dog wouldn't go for the baker just because he eats bread, right? And more seriously, a dog that eats meat or tripe does not have x-ray vision and can look at a cow and say, 'oh, yummy, there is the tummy, I go and help myself now' :)

Raw green (not the bleached variety!) tripe is nearly balanced in itself. It is in my opinion the best you can feed your dog. Red muscle meat on the other hand is higher in phosphorus and you would need to add calcium, best in the form of fresh, uncooked bones or chicken carcasses. Organ meat (liver, kidneys, heart) is extremely high in phosphorus and should only be added now and then as an extra supplement, not as a staple diet.

By the way, does anybody know where one can get chicken necks, perhaps in bulk from a chicken place? I think they are considered offal here in Ireland and fall under the restrictions of the 'Special Risk Material' and must be rendered un-usable, but maybe this has changed by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 es2003

Hi we feed our great dane raw meat and its great, wouldn't worry about raw food dogs stomachs can generally handle it. Just about the kibble though, dogs digest kibble and raw meat or tripe at different rates, might cause a bit of stomach upset. It is not recommended with great danes to feed both because of bloat but I'm not sure with other breeds. Just keep an eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭dahat

jap gt wrote: »
    yea i should be able to get a good load of meat for her
    thanks

So jealous of this............Been sourcing food locally,usually feed heart meat,butcher scraps,chicken and pork,some rabbit and venison when i can get it.
    Beef and Lambs liver on a regular basis.
    For bones i use pork ribs,chicken necks and carcass,pork spines.

Any meat sold from your work to individuals,a discount outlet maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 p.sheridan

Hi Jap, I live in cork also and have great difficulty getting green tripe. If you guys sell it could you let me know ???

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Bog Bunny wrote: »
    By the way, does anybody know where one can get chicken necks, perhaps in bulk from a chicken place? I think they are considered offal here in Ireland and fall under the restrictions of the 'Special Risk Material' and must be rendered un-usable, but maybe this has changed by now.

Cappaquinn Chickens in Co. Waterford do all chicken meat n bones,they have a shop each friday where you can buy in bulk,i use it on a regular basis.

EDIT....THREAD YONKS OLD,MY BAD IN REPLYING

Advertisement