Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internships abroad

Options
  • 30-01-2011 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all

I finished up college last summer and have been trying ever since to get a job but its the same story we hear every day, not enough experience etc. Sorry im 22 and graduated from a Commerce degree with a 2.1

I have come to the conclusion the only way to get some proper experience is to possibly attain an internship. I know many of these are unpaid but if it improves the CV and career potential its a necessary cost at this stage.

If i was to do this i think i would prefer to do it abroad possib;y London or the UK in general. Killing two birds with 1 stone if you like, gaining experience while also showing future employers im not afraid to expose myself to new surroundings, cultures and diversify

My question is has anyone obtained an internship in the IK? Feedback? And does anyone know any good sources to find such opportunities. Websites Papers??

My search is not limited to UK, just a preference

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I would strongly advise you not to do an unpaid internship. It's unethical and it's exploitation. You will get people telling you that it's more for you than the company blah blah blah, that you get invaluable experience, but from what I've seen, you're just doing a job and not getting paid. Moving from Ireland to London is hardly a massive change, either. I barely notice any difference between the two countries these days and I doubt anyone would be impressed by it. What about trying the continent?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jonny13

I know its not a massive step to choose the UK but it shos a willingness to step outside comfort zones.

I have considered the continent but thought I might be shooting aimlessly with only leaving cert French as another language. I would have thought a reasobly high proficiency in a second language was crucial.

I would not be entirely happy with an unpaid internship but I feel I need to get some experience soon or my degree could simply be a waste with the more time that passes

Jonny13 wrote: »
    I know its not a massive step to choose the UK but it shos a willingness to step outside comfort zones.

Not really. Language is the same, telly is (almost) the same, food is the same, culture in general is very similar. People are a bit different but all the Irish I know in London hang around together. No-one has ever even asked me why I went to college in Ireland and then worked in the UK.
    I have considered the continent but thought I might be shooting aimlessly with only leaving cert French as another language. I would have thought a reasobly high proficiency in a second language was crucial.

Not crucial but it would help. I'm abroad now and there are quite a few people with nothing but English.
    I would not be entirely happy with an unpaid internship but I feel I need to get some experience soon or my degree could simply be a waste with the more time that passes

Yeah I understand that, but I'd still try every possible avenue until I found a paid one.

thank you for your help

i shall examine the continent in greater detail and perhaps look to an evening course to progress my french fluency

can you recommend any graduate opportunities you have come across on your travels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

If you want to go to the UK then these guys here might help out http://www.grb.uk.com/

Jonny13 what field are you in? I have an internship coming up in the summer with Sony in Ohio, looking for engineers at the moment for it.

• Advertisement

thank you for your help

i shall examine the continent in greater detail and perhaps look to an evening course to progress my french fluency

Good idea. A second language is ALWAYS a good idea, IMO. If you're in a city, there might be a French conversation group where you can practise for free.
    can you recommend any graduate opportunities you have come across on your travels?

I know quite a few people doing traineeships in European banks, the EU institutions (especially the Commission), that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?l=United+States&jt=internship

37000 Job here, do a search and add &jt=internship to the end of the address.

Don't do it for nothing. If your anyway average you can pull out about 30-40K pa.

RATM wrote: »
    If you want to go to the UK then these guys here might help out http://www.grb.uk.com/

Jonny13 what field are you in? I have an internship coming up in the summer with Sony in Ohio, looking for engineers at the moment for it.

Hi

thanks for your help

Unfortunately I am not in engineering. I am in General Business/Commerce and Mgt field.

Is the internship programme solely in the engineering field?

Thanks for the site links too they are proving very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Hi OP,

A business internship in the UK might be a good choice coming from a business background. There are a good few of them. Many of them adverstised on job boards websites of colleges and uni's. It would be worth doing them even if it were for a few months just to get your foot in the door and get a bit of work experience. Then again I'd be sceptical when its unpaid work-placements in the UK.

You might have a better opportunity to go further afield to Europe/US/Oz. If you tried for a few months to get an upaid work-placement here in Ireland might help but doing so short term rather than long term might be the way to go. After a few months you might like to do another unpaid placement if you enjoyed your work-placement and worked out for you and your employer. If the placement lasted longer than 9 months I'd move onto something else away from unpaid work experience and try to either get paid work-placement in Ireland/UK/Abroad.

Best of Luck OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Hi

thanks for your help

Unfortunately I am not in engineering. I am in General Business/Commerce and Mgt field.

Is the internship programme solely in the engineering field?

Thanks for the site links too they are proving very helpful

At the moment yes but I suspect I might have further opportunities down the road, in fact I expect so. PM me for a contact.

• Advertisement
Advertisement