Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clip pedald

Options
  • 30-01-2011 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi all just looking for a little advice on clip pedal set up . Im recently back cycling after a 15 year lay off and fitted a set of shimano 105 pedals during the week i was out yesterday clipped into pedals wife called me back i stopped and you guessed it went to withdraw i didnt and ended up on the deck went for 36k spin this morning stopped at a junction and only for a stop sign was down again . Im not a clumsy person just wondering have i them set up wrong or is this normal until you get your feet so to speek. I have the cleat back as far as it will slide on the shoe and have the clip adjusted to the least resistance it will go to is this wrong ? . Looking forward to your replys

Thanks Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

Rallymad wrote: »
    Hi all just looking for a little advice on clip pedal set up . Im recently back cycling after a 15 year lay off and fitted a set of shimano 105 pedals during the week i was out yesterday clipped into pedals wife called me back i stopped and you guessed it went to withdraw i didnt and ended up on the deck went for 36k spin this morning stopped at a junction and only for a stop sign was down again . Im not a clumsy person just wondering have i them set up wrong or is this normal until you get your feet so to speek. I have the cleat back as far as it will slide on the shoe and have the clip adjusted to the least resistance it will go to is this wrong ? . Looking forward to your replys

Thanks Paul

Happens to everybody , clipless take a little getting used to , everybody has had the embarrassing "slow fall". Perhaps you could back off the spring tension on your pedals until you get used to them ( it's the allen key screw hole with the + and - sign ) .Move in the - direction , it will be easier to clip out .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I found clipless difficult to get to grips with when I started out with them last autumn, and also had a couple of slomo falls. I reckon it's just a matter of perservering and keeping the tension loose starting out, most people seem to get the hang of them after a couple of spins, took me a couple of months to get properly comfortable with them. I ended up going for a multi-release M324 type which are that bit easier for a beginner. At minimum tension, you can inadvertently unclip if you hit a pot hole, or perform a particularly clunky gear change, but tend to reclip immediately so its not a major problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

i have recently moved to the same sort of set up and yes you do fall, infact on one training spin i fell twice, the first one into someone else coming to a stop and the second one pulling over with a puncture. in all honesty within a week or so you will get used to it and after a month or so (im hoping) it will become second nature. keep at it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭furiousox

You might find these fellas easier to use initially?
    You can always go back to the 105's when you're ready.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m520-pedals/

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 25 SnakePliskin

In the same boat myself. Using shimano spdl pedals and finding it pretty tough to get used to. About two months in now and finally reasonably confortable with them. Im sure perseverence will pay off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

It's really just familiarity, but something to bear in mind is that it is usually easier to unclip with your leg straight (i.e. when the pedal is at its lowest point). Unclipping in any other position is certainly do-able but it can put more strain on your knee and can be a little more awkward, and slower, as a result.

Also, try to keep the cleats and contact points with the pedals clean, as any dirt or grit here can make clipping out more difficult too and therefore makes toppling over more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Rallymad

Thanks for the advise all ill keep plugging away with them at least i know now its not just me.

Also i was just watching Dara o Brians new dvd and he does a sketch on this exact thing wife found it very funny.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Slow down.... Push heel away from bike.... Put foot down...job's oxo ;)

Although when I changed back to toe clips for an adventure race and didn't bother to change back to clipless for the next spin, the heel out didn't work so well :o

• Registered Users Posts: 37 reidzer

Hi all.

I just put these on my bike too... got on fine...
    however, My feet were extremely cold...

Can anyone recommend overshoes from chain reaction?
    not too expensive...

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

reidzer wrote: »
    Hi all.

I just put these on my bike too... got on fine...
    however, My feet were extremely cold...

Can anyone recommend overshoes from chain reaction?
    not too expensive...

Cheers
    These

If it's particularly cold, a pair of thermal socks over your normal socks also helps immensely. Though avoid stuffing your shoes too tightly as this can restrict blood flow and make your feet cold (and numb).

If you're commuting, I would strongly recommend the M520's as furiousox recommends above. You spend a lot of time clipping in and out on a normal commute, so the MTB SPDs are much handier -
    - they're two-sided,
    - easier to clip in & out of
    - the cleats and shoes are designed for regularly clipping/unclipping and walking on, so are more hard-wearing
    - MTB clipless gear seems to be cheaper in general

It might be worth keeping the road shoes & pedals for weekend spins when you're not unclipping every 500m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

The other thing to do is unclip well in advance of the stop sign / traffic light.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 reidzer

seamus wrote: »
    These

If it's particularly cold, a pair of thermal socks over your normal socks also helps immensely. Though avoid stuffing your shoes too tightly as this can restrict blood flow and make your feet cold (and numb).

If you're commuting, I would strongly recommend the M520's as furiousox recommends above. You spend a lot of time clipping in and out on a normal commute, so the MTB SPDs are much handier -

Thanks for this! I think i have MTB SPD's,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I use Look Keo pedals and have always found them easy enough to get out of. Just a slight twist of the foot.

Advertisement