Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why is it with cars?

Options
  • 30-01-2011 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭

Why are cars that come from different countries even as close as England have shinier paint work?
    I am always wondering why the difference in the cars we have here on sale,to a car bought abroad.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

All the paint is the same OP. Brits like to polish their car every sunday where as Paddy washes his once a month..

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Pretty simple, we don't wash our cars often here and don't care for the paint on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Is it really the same paint? One of my friends bought a car brand new from car dealers in England and didnt touch the body and looked like it had been polished a hundred times over lol/So are you saying that even the car dealers here dont polish the cars they sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

caseyann wrote: »
    Is it really the same paint?

It would be horrendously expensive for car manufacturers to install an additional "cheap Paddy paint" line in their paintshops to save 2.5 euro on paint for the 3.5 cars they actually do sell into Ireland.

In other words ...yes ...it is the same paint.

Is it really the same paint? One of my friends bought a car brand new from car dealers in England and didnt touch the body and looked like it had been polished a hundred times over lol/So are you saying that even the car dealers here dont polish the cars they sell?

No. 99% of brand new cars wont be polished at all. They may have a PDI wax on them all right but this will wash of very easy.

The British have a totally different attitude to cars and driving than us. Every english man keeps his car spotless and polished all the time. How many people spend sunday washing there car over here????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

-Corkie- wrote: »
    How many people spend sunday washing there car over here????

I do, so thats 1 person anyway! :p

Testament1 wrote: »

I know..;) making a comment like that on a motoring forum was silly of me because most people are car enthuasist`s and will look after their car. I have not washed anything in ages..:o

No. 99% of brand new cars wont be polished at all. They may have a PDI wax on them all right but this will wash of very easy.

The British have a totally different attitude to cars and driving than us. Every english man keeps his car spotless and polished all the time. How many people spend sunday washing there car over here????

Maybe its in the wax?
    I wash my car every three days :o But still cant get shine on same as cars with non Irish reg plates.
    Testament1 wrote: »

I am lover of cleaning my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Every english man keeps his car spotless and polished all the time.

A bit of a generalisation would you not think Corkie? Surely theres a few boyos from Essex at least who dont keep their motors spotless and polished all the time?:p

A bit of a generalisation would you not think Corkie? Surely theres a few boyos from Essex at least who dont keep their motors spotless and polished all the time?:p

Too true. Its the Essex girls that keep them spotless..:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Maybe its in the wax?
    I wash my car every three days :o But still cant get shine on same as cars with non Irish reg plates.

I am lover of cleaning my car.

You need to polish it and seal it with a wax to bring up a shine on it. Washing it will only get rid of dirt but won't bring up a great shine

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    You need to polish it and seal it with a wax to bring up a shine on it. Washing it will only get rid of dirt but won't bring up a great shine

Any good polish you can recommend?

Look at the gleam off this one images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDRoqMtDUhtznFn1oPsF0-d7-RdfNiWyWSBBNIhMfqbnEf86SG&t=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

autoglym

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Any good polish you can recommend?

Look at the gleam off this one images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDRoqMtDUhtznFn1oPsF0-d7-RdfNiWyWSBBNIhMfqbnEf86SG&t=1

depends what make and colour is your car ???? to get the best shine you use different waxes on different colours , autoglym is a standard cheap wax and is fine but there are much better options

davy_b wrote: »
    depends what colour is your car ????

Its red :)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dave45dave

Its red :)

Could be the long hot summers we have and ur red is faded.:confused:

DODO JUICE Orange Crush or Banana Armour would be good for red or Hard candy or Swissvax onyx

Swissvax Mirage and dodo juice supernatural if you wanna spend a few quid and get a very good result,

look here for products

http://www.detailer.ie/store/

http://www.cleancar.ie/

for best results

Wash your car with shampoo
    any car wash really is ok autoglym is fine
    or
    http://www.cleancar.ie/dodo-juice-basics-of-bling-wax-safe-wash.html
    http://www.cleancar.ie/dodojuice-borntobemildshampoo.html

dry car to prevent water marks
    useing something like this
    http://www.detailer.ie/store/index.php/washing-drying/miracle-dryer.html

clay your car
    http://www.cleancar.ie/autoglymsurfacedetailingclaykit.html

polish your car
    http://www.cleancar.ie/dodojuice-limeprimecleanser.html
    or
    http://www.detailer.ie/store/index.php/polishing/swissvax-cleaner-fluid.html

wax your car
    with one of the above waxes

you can go here for tips if you want more info

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

As said most Irish drivers have the opinion that going thro an auto wash every few weeks is good enough,shure the cars clean why use polish :rolleyes:

When the weathers decent id wash mine every weekend and polish every other inc door jams and under the hood with a clay baring every year around may.

The soarer was polished with Meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2 last Oct and since its only done about 2K km since then its only been washed 4 times since with NXT Generation Car Wash and still looks very good.

ill add a pic of it today if 1 pops up from the meet earlyer

Also never EVER use fairy ect to wash a car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Anyone else get grief from the OH about washing your car/talking about the car/looking at the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I don't bother me arse waxing mine as i wash it so often there would be no point.

I use a wax/shampoo that has a similar effect, water beads off it nicely and saves lots of time.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Anyone else get grief from the OH about washing your car/talking about the car/looking at the car?

yup !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Stealthirl wrote: »
    As said most Irish drivers have the opinion that going thro an auto wash every few weeks is good enough,shure the cars clean why use polish :rolleyes:

When the weathers decent id wash mine every weekend and polish every other inc door jams and under the hood with a clay baring every year around may.

The soarer was polished with Meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2 last Oct and since its only done about 2K km since then its only been washed 4 times since with NXT Generation Car Wash and still looks very good.

ill add a pic of it today if 1 pops up from the meet earlyer

Also never EVER use fairy ect to wash a car

heres that pic

IMG_5395.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

I don't bother me arse waxing mine as i wash it so often there would be no point.
    I use a wax/shampoo that has a similar effect, water beads off it nicely and saves lots of time.
    Ya, the turtle wax nano shampoo and spray wax is good for a quick and easy way to get the car shiny.

Hose car
    Turtle wax nano shampoo, bucket of water and a decent wash mitten (use another bucket to rinse out dirty mitt)
    Hose car
    Wash wheels with same shampoo/water, and a proper brush for alloys.
    Dry car with one of those silicon bladey things and few kitchen paper towels
    Apply Turtle wax nano spray wax
    Microfibre cloth to bring up shine

No farting around trying to keep wax/polish off any black plastic trim (plenty on her MINI -wheel arches, sills) - the spray wax keeps them shiny and black without any of the white marks from other waxes.
    Beads up water for weeks and weeks if you don't have the chance to wash it again for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bumpstop

It's really odd someone should ask this, I have often thought english cars look shinier than our irish cars.
    I know it's not possible. I have owned, and own a number of ex english cars, anf they always look far more shiny than any car around them.
    But then I am a car enthusiast, and spend a lot of time cleaning and polishing, so maybe thats it.
    I know it a matter of personal taste, but I have tried many types of car cleaners and polishes, and nothing beats Einszetts products, finished with a few layers of valentines car wax which is expensive but the coating does last over the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I use Zymol shampoo and polish. Meguires clay bar every year and dont bother with wax as I was the car every week, and I find wax builds up and leaves a poxy white residue that takes a serious amount of work to get rid of.

If your cars paint is faded, it can help to cut back the oxidised layer back to a fresh layer :) (but be careful of the high points)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Zaino is said to be the best (Google it), much more preparation required though. I got some last week but weather too bad to even start it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

All the paint is the same OP. Brits like to polish their car every sunday where as Paddy washes his once a month..

... or never.

• Advertisement

si_guru wrote: »
    ... or never.

I disagree with the statements of Irish dont wash their cars.They are quite likely to wash their cars once a week bring it for jet wash etc.. Every time i go there is queues around the corner to my dismay :( lol
    Everyone better than the Irish attitude always makes me cringe especially when own Irish saying it.Have to say again not ever in my life have i ever seen in this case or in every case or subject debated,a nationality degrade and dirty their own with so much venom.
    Thanks guys for the advice on polish etc.. i will put them all to good use.:)
    I really thought it was the paint work that was different and when shipping they shipped the cars with the crap paint work.lol

Advertisement