Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Polish flag and its symbolism

Options
  • 30-01-2011 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

Im very curious now. Anything Iv read so far has said that the red and white colours have always been in Polish history, elsewhere Ill read that it comes from some merger Poland had with Lithuania. However, the OH is adamant that when she was growing up she was told that the white symbolised scars and the red, blood.

Anyone care to shed any light on this?

Dzieki.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

It all started hundreds of years ago when central Europe was full of wild people and tribes. One day one of the local leaders with lots of charisma had an idea of uniting as many tribes as he can and creating one giant powerful tribe-country with thousands of people and dozens of cities and towns.

So he was walking all over Europe with his people looking for the perfect place to settle down. One day he looked at the sky.. it was a sunset and sky was red and perfectly beautiful. He quickly realized that the place he see is the most beautiful he has ever seen in his life. He saw the mountains, lakes, forests... He felt that's the right place. Then he looked at the sky again and what he saw was a white eagle circling and crossing the sky.

He realized his dream becoming the first leader of Poland (a historical person). By his first order a white eagle on the red (sky) became a symbol of that newly born nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Zajabiscie.. another explanation, lol. But which one is TRUE?

Wasn't there 3 historical leaders that founded Poland? I thought they all started out together, one founded Poland(Lech) another founded Lithuania and Im not sure about the 3rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

It was Lech.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Wasn't there 3 historical leaders that founded Poland?

Here's the story - Lech, Czech i Rus

As to the meaning of colours - blood+scars as I was taught in my early years - a learn by heart poem every little Polish child should know:

"- Kto ty jesteś? - Polak mały.
    - Jaki znak twój? - Orzeł biały.
    - Gdzie ty mieszkasz? - Między swemi.
    - W jakim kraju? - W polskiej ziemi.
    - Czym ta ziemia? - Mą ojczyzną.
    - Czym zdobyta? - Krwią i blizną.
    - Czy ją kochasz? - Kocham szczerze.
    - A w co wierzysz? - W Polskę wierzę.
    - Czym ty dla niej? - Wdzięczne dziecię
    - Coś jej winien? - Oddać życie."
    Polak Mały by Władysław Bełza

Makes you wonder if you're still Polish not living on Polish land, amongst similar ones in your fatherland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

who are you? lil pole
    where do you live? gf had trouble translating this answer.
    In what country? On the polish ground/earth
    which is for you? my homeland
    by what conquered? by blood and scar
    do you love her? I love her truly
    where do you believe in? I believe in Poland

..she got sick of translatin for me after that last one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

who are you? lil pole
    Your coat of arms? Eagle White
    Who do you live amongst? Amongst my kind
    In what country? On the polish ground/earth
    which is for you? my homeland
    by what conquered? by blood and scar
    do you love her? I love her truly
    where do you believe in? I believe in Poland
    Who are you to her? A grateful child
    What you owe her? To devote (sacrifice) own life