Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shameless Self-Promotion

Options
  • 29-01-2011 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

I am a freelance/student journalist trying to build up a decent portfolio, and I recently started a blog. Now I would really appreciate feedback so leave comments on my blog.

Thanks a million!

http://steponeonthestairstonowhere.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

just had a quick look, my thoughts:

Its slightly bland if ya dont mind me saying.

You need more pages on it with further info.
    You need a list of blogs you read, sites your intereted in related to your topic, etc.
    The design and layout could be personalised more, at the moment it just looks like another blogspot blog.
    The title is quite overwhelming and large - a graphic title could look a lot better and also is 'no where' not spelt 'nowhere' ?
    What type of journalism are you intereted in? just print media? and what section of media? all, sport, politics, business, etc.

Hope this helps a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

I agree with you totally.
    Unfortuantely (or not so unfortunately) I got work covering the elections with my local newspaper, I have been quite sick lately (flu and some digestive issues), also college work is mounting and deadlines are constantly coming up, and finally my procastination has taken on new levels. Put these all together and really I haven't been dedicating much time to my blog over the last few weeks.
    To answer your question; I am mainly interested in two forms of media politics and human interest. While I would love to branch out into all mediums, I am currently focusing on print journalism due to college emphasisng it for our placement in June. (Don't worry though they are encouring us to branch out, but they are saying "You are more likely to get published when you are starting, everything else will come eventually.")

Outside of design, what would you say about the topics I deal with? Are they bland too?

Edit: And "Nowhere" I think is just a typo.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

Very hard to comment on the 'topics' you deal with as there are only two posts on the blog. Both of which are of your life experiences and your thoughts following the experience. so its really just one topic.

Its not bad, i read both posts without feeling the urge to click away but you probably need to broaded your spectrum.

im no journalist but have an interest. maybe an opinion is better from a non-journalist?

You seem to be trying to fix media? while this is ambitious and commendable, is it realistic? It is an interesting topic but can this run out of freshness very soon?

I think the reader needs more than just your posts on the site to fully engage and get attracted to the topics. Other info, and sideline topics pages are required in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Not bad but I do recommend switching to Tumblr or at least Wordpress. Or livejournal if you want to be all serious in the blog. Blogspot is a pretty crap blogging tool IMO.

Advertisement