Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault megane electrical problems.

Options
  • 29-01-2011 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, I recently bought a 07 megane from a dealer.
    A few hours after I collected it I noticed the air conditioning didn't work and the door handle on the driver side was a bit wonky. I gave the dealer a call, they seemed grand and I'm dropping the car over next week to get sorted.

Since then I've noticed another few things.
    The smoke lighter doesn't work, I tried a few different phone chargers and none worked.

The heated passenger seat doesn't work either and when I have the switch on for the heated seat the reversing sensors don't work... I was thinking maybe a fuse was just blown somewhere but it seems weird that the heated seat stops the reversing sensors working.

I will point out this stuff when I see the dealer next week but I haven't a clue about cars so is there anything you guys think could be causing these problems? I just ask so I have a bit of a clue when I talk to the dealer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

The answer is in the question. Renault are well known for electrical issues. Sorry to break the bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

God only knows, I'm afraid. You may get used to it. They are over engineered. I had a Laguna II. It had my heart broke. Electric windows not working. Keycard was a disaster. Don't know how many I had to replace. Then they charge you for reprogramming the tyres. The wheel is regarded as the best and most simple invention ever but Renault managed to complicate it. Display on the AirCon was dodgy. The tyre sensors were constantly giving trouble. I also had to replace the keycard slot because some part in it broke too.

I always notice on the Lagunas that when the brakes are pressed the reverse lights and indicators always seem to light up.

They are notorious. I'd nearly wait another week and get a full list of jobs that need to be done.

I eventually had to cut my losses and had to get rid the Laguna.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Are these things that you tested and verified were working before you bought and which failed since or are you only discovering now? I think you need to give the car a thorough check over and get the dealer to sort it all in the same visit. Repeat the check when you get it back. This advice applies no matter which brand you buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Meganes have trouble making their standard electrics work, let alone lots of extras which your car obviously has.

My advice, and I'd be willing to bet the universal advice on here, get rid of the car, all Renaults from about 02 up to the latest generation(09 on) are desperately unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭goodlad

I hadn't test these things before I bought it. I just test drive the car and gave it a look over. It's since I bought it 3 days ago that I have discovered all these problem. I just don't know what to expect when I point them all out to the dealer. Of course I want them fixed, is that realistic??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

goodlad wrote: »
    Of course I want them fixed, is that realistic??

yes. but its very likely more things will continue to go wrong. get it reapired and sell, sell, sell!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭BrianD3

goodlad wrote: »
    I hadn't test these things before I bought it. I just test drive the car and gave it a look over. It's since I bought it 3 days ago that I have discovered all these problem. I just don't know what to expect when I point them all out to the dealer. Of course I want them fixed, is that realistic??
    Perfectly realistic, the car is presumably under warranty so it's their problem. If they don't have the equipment to diagnose an electrical fault, again, that's their problem. That's why you pay extra to buy a car from a dealer.

No need to "get rid of the car" like the drama queens on this forum are advising. A facelift Megane II is a reliable car, this is shown by several surveys such as ADAC pannenstatistik (based on breakdowns) and Reliability Index UK (based on warranty claims)

It is generally inadvisable to ask about Renault on this forum. You'll generally get crap unhelpful answers as you may by now have realised.

A facelift Megane II is a reliable car

i beg to differ :)

compared to other cars in its class/ price bracket, there are many other options available, yada yada, toyota, etc yada yada. you get where im going to take this.

im not being a drama queen, but in my opinion i'd sell up. its only been 3 days and look at the problems this guy has, and its not as if dealers dont check/ service cars before they sell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

BrianD3 wrote: »
    It is generally inadvisable to ask about Renault on this forum. You'll generally get crap unhelpful answers as you may by now have realised.

Could not agree more. Some people think that every car bar the Octavia is a pile of sh!te :rolleyes:

The later iterations of that Megane are a fine car, and I think the OP is unlucky to have bought one with a few gremlins, which in fairness might be simple to fix. Hopefully the garage will be able to sort it out.

andyseadog wrote: »
    im not being a drama queen, but in my opinion i'd sell up. its only been 3 days and look at the problems this guy has, and its not as if dealers dont check/ service cars before they sell them.
    With respect, I think you are over-reacting in advising someone who has bought a car that is little over three years old, and has owned it for just three days, to sell the thing on because it has a number of minor faults which should be perfectly curable, and none of which has rendered the vehicle unserviceable.

You have made a sweeping assessment on what the owner should do, based solely on the fact that the car is a Renault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

We have a 06 megane and its a pain in the arse. The electrics are a nightmare. At one stage I thought the car was possessed, the lights would switch themselves on in the middle of the night, windows not opening etc etc. We have had it worked on and no problems for a while but only waiting for more. If I can find someone stupid enough to take it off me i'll get rid, failing that only another 5 years until its eligable for scrappage, if scrappage is available then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Laguna 2's are scrap but your megane should be fine ...one or two fuses could be the cause all you probs.

shamwari wrote: »
    With respect, I think you are over-reacting in advising someone who has bought a car that is little over three years old, and has owned it for just three days, to sell the thing on because it has a number of minor faults which should be perfectly curable, and none of which has rendered the vehicle unserviceable.

You have made a sweeping assessment on what the owner should do, based solely on the fact that the car is a Renault.

cheers for summarising what i just said in your own words :)

if this was primary school, a gold star for you.

'twas just my opinion, take it or leave it.

cheers for summarising what i just said in your own words :)

if this was primary school, a gold star for you.

'twas just my opinion, take it or leave it.

I'm right so - you are over-reacting solely because the car is a Renault.

I'm right so - you are over-reacting solely because the car is a Renault.

how can you be right for summing up what i said? its repetition

you have your opinion, i have mine. mine may be more radical than yours but that doesnt make it any less useful or correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

OP, go through your car with a fine tooth comb, list the defects and inform the dealer in writing of them.

Depending on who you believe, your car is either unlucky or a potential money pit, I'm not saying its either.

Get your faults in writing, go back to the dealer with them. Once you can prove they occurred during warranty (hence in writing/e-mail) you should be covered.

Good luck.

how can you be right for summing up what i said? its repetition

you have your opinion, i have mine. mine may be more radical than yours but that doesnt make it any less useful or correct.

Radical? I'd call your proposed reaction to this situation to be utterly silly. Oh, and I didn't sum up what you said. I laid it bare for the over-reaction that it was.

Radical? I'd call your proposed reaction to this situation to be utterly silly. Oh, and I didn't sum up what you said. I laid it bare for the over-reaction that it was.

i've bought cars before, that have turned out to be duds, rather than dilly dally and wait for them to become bigger, fatter, more expensive problems, ive chosen to cut my losses and sell them. (and im by no means made of money)

say what you will but a car which you have owned for 3 days and presents such a tidy little list of problems is far less 'reliable' than a car that you have owned for 3 days and presented no promblems.

the car has already proven itself to be problematic, its up to the op whether or not he wants to give the car an opportunity to do it again.

my advice still stands. your like a dog with a bone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

I have to come back in defence of andyseadog, Megane II/Laguna II are extremely unreliable, especially where electrics are concerned, this is not based on any irrational opinion, it is based on experience fixing them week in week out.

Have any of the people arguing about their unreliability owned one? Or do they own one now and have had no problems with it? I'm certain I know the answer.

Perhaps telling someone who has a car 3 days to get rid of it is a bit strong, but to put it a different way, the fact that a 3 year old car has these problems should be enough alarm bells, and the fact that the dealer let the car out with those faults wouldn't instill much confidence in them either.

Let's think practically for a minute. Someone buys a car that is just over three years old. It won't be cheap, they may have borrowed to buy it, and perhaps its on finance.

How realistic is it to flog it on after three days? The OP won't even have the log book yet. The seller hasn't even been afforded the opportunity to examine the thing and fix the faults which have now occurred. The worst thing the OP can do is be hasty and deny the seller an opportunity to fix the thing!

Incidentally, those later Megane's got a subtle facelift in 2007, and those facelifted models are purported to be far better than their earlier siblings. There were many revisions to the electrical systems too, one being (if I'm correct) is that a lot of the electronic modules are from different suppliers (Siemens instead of Sagem and someone else), and the consensus is that they are a far better car as a result. Certainly the software I had on my beloved Autoboss would communicate with the earlier Meganes, but not those 07-on :confused: so clearly something has changed on the newer ones.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Perhaps telling someone who has a car 3 days to get rid of it is a bit strong, but to put it a different way, the fact that a 3 year old car has these problems should be enough alarm bells, and the fact that the dealer let the car out with those faults wouldn't instill much confidence in them either.

Its most likely that the car was bought with these problems, rather than developed them one after the other over 3 days use. So the problems could be there for anywhere from 4 days ago to 4 years ago .

A couple of the things could be as simple as fuses. The door handle I'd say was either damaged or not put back on right after it was removed (possible damaged/replaced/repaired door)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭BrianD3

the fact that the dealer let the car out with those faults wouldn't instill much confidence in them either.
    Agree with that much at least.

Anybody who believes that the car was perfect when sold and somehow developed those problems in 3 days is naive. The garage let the car out without checking it properly. Or maybe they checked but hoped that the problems wouldn't be noticed until after the warranty ran out.

Prefacelift, the Megane II and Laguna II have been shown in surveys to be unreliable*. Post facelift cars have been shown to be reliable. The OPs car is a post facelift as it is a 07. It's unfortunate that the car has some faults but hardly justifies such drama especially when it's the garage's problem to fix them

*I have a prefacelift Laguna and my particular example and any other pre facelifts that I know about (all 1.6 petrols) have been generally reliable. Some problems eg I've had one window reg and 4 replacement plug coils in 245k miles. Hardly a big deal given the amount of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

we bought a 04 megane a few years ago...it was crap, drove us mad. our friend has a 06 one and never had one problem. i believe the 05+ ones are pretty reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭barbs84

does anyone know how to get the orange lit up spanner (service light) of the dash board, i got the car serviced but the spanner and the message service due will not go off anyone know how to do it

in some cars, the person servicing it must reset the service counter on it.

how did this turn out OP?

thank you, it was my dad that serviced it, any chance you know where the service counter is so that he doesnt get annoyed looking for it:o

not a clue :) i gave it a quick google and nothing came up but if you try a little harder im sure you'll find it.

thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gweny

Hello All, I've got a 2006 Renault Scenic Automatic and have had a few Electrical problems;-
    1. The electric windows, which Renault fix for fee of about 100 euros a time. ( on re-call.)
    2. Airbag Warning messages, which are usually NOT the Airbags but just the connections under the 2 front seats. (easily fixed.)
    3. Automatic Gearbox "electronic fault." - intermittant. I found that driving for a while in Manual (semi-automatic.)
    ocassionally, seemed to cure the problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement