Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Simultaneous Postgrads

Options
  • 29-01-2011 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi all,

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I'm applying for a masters for september. I'm hoping to take the 2 year part time option. Fine.

The second year is basically just dissertation all the way. Only 1/2 hours a week with my supervisor. I'm wondering is it possible to do the HDip in Education (Secondary) at the same time? Both would be in Dublin? Basically doing two different post grads at the same time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Probably not with the same institution - most have regulations about dual enrolment.

From a practical standpoint it'd be very tough - the Dip seems to be an utterly exhausting year, and 1/2 hours with a supervisor a week translates into many more hours of research - if you do find it's possible, you'd want to make sure you put the summer between years 1 and 2 to good use. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

Hey there,

first of all not sure if that is possible in terms of registration, particularly if you wish to do both postgrads in the same institution. Second of all I think you are minimizing the amount of work you are going to have to do for a two-year MA course. Most two-year MA courses are pretty intense and your dissertation is expected to be of a very high level. Can you juggle doing exams, organising classes, writing essays and teaching for your HDip (with corrections to do on top of that) as well as researching and drafting your thesis in its second year? Impossible, in my opinion.

I'd suggest speaking to a career guidance counselor/ academic advisor who will probably say the same. If you're keen on doing both postgrads you should consider deferring one course and do it later on (I'd suggest deferring the MA and doing the HDip now). Even if you were allowed to take both degrees and went for it you would end up with two low average degrees as you wouldn't have the time to achieve a high standard in both.

My two cents!

R

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

Hi all,

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I'm applying for a masters for september. I'm hoping to take the 2 year part time option. Fine.

The second year is basically just dissertation all the way. Only 1/2 hours a week with my supervisor. I'm wondering is it possible to do the HDip in Education (Secondary) at the same time? Both would be in Dublin? Basically doing two different post grads at the same time?

Hey,
    Have you done a dissertation before? I would guess not but I could be wrong. Dissertations are tough tough work and it is fairly likely that your masters course has a standard that will require you to work like a dog to get a good mark (without thinking you would have an entire other course to deal with!). As some other posters have said, doing the two is probably impossible so it is probably time to choose which one is best for you now.

Also don't forget that humans naturally underestimate how long a task will take! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

Thanks all for you're replies. My biggest question would have been would it possible to register for the two which I don't think it would.
    I have done a dissertation this year and for my diploma also. I suppose I'm one of those workaholic people with 2 jobs and college atm! :pac: But I understand the sheer workload. The Dip would probably be the main worry with teaching practise and all.

Was just seeing if it is possible! I have a job lined up after it all so I'm trying to get there!! Hope I will anyway! Many Thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

Thanks all for you're replies. My biggest question would have been would it possible to register for the two which I don't think it would.
    I have done a dissertation this year and for my diploma also. I suppose I'm one of those workaholic people with 2 jobs and college atm! :pac: But I understand the sheer workload. The Dip would probably be the main worry with teaching practise and all.

Was just seeing if it is possible! I have a job lined up after it all so I'm trying to get there!! Hope I will anyway! Many Thanks :D

Best of luck with whatever you do. But don't get stuck in a rut you cant get out of!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Rosita

I have a job lined up after it all so I'm trying to get there!!

Sorry, are you saying that you will be applying for the Teaching Dip in (presumably) 2012/13 and you "have a job lined up" at this stage? How does that work?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

hi

i'm kinda hijacking the thread here but has anyone ever done a Msc and then done a Meng? or what is the general viewpoint on them?

the reason i ask is that im currently doing a taught Msc by distance as I work full time. the course is structured that you do 8 taught modules and then a masters project that lasts 6 months and is the equivalent of 4 modules. i'm nearly finished the end of my 8 taught modules and so "just" have the project to do.

recently ive come across a paid research position for a Meng in a different institution and thats in an area i'm interested in.

my question would it be possible to do the two or more importantly is it worthwhile to have a Msc and a Meng.

also there would be approx 6 months overlap with the two courses.

Advertisement