Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mac update from 10.4.11!

Options
  • 29-01-2011 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

folks, currently have mac os x 10.4.11. wanted to look at buying aperature but it needs 10.5.8 or later.

this brought me to look at later mac os systems.

having very little technical knowledge about this sort of thing, can anyone in the know advise me if i should upgrade to snow leopard? is it worth it, is there any bugs?

finally is an upgrade to a later system an expensive thing to do? i.e. do i have to buy the system as new (apple website i none to helpful on this!)

thanks in advance for any advice!!

Will.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I don't own a Mac myself, but from what I understand Snow Leopard is quite stable, especially if it's patched to version 10.6.6.

The main system requirements for Snow Leopard are a Mac computer with an Intel processor, 1GB of RAM, a DVD drive for installation and 5GB of available hard disk space.

The main problem with upgrading to Snow Leopard is that Macs with PowerPC processors are not supported. In order to use Snow Leopard you need a Mac with an Intel processor.

In order to determine what kind of processor you have for your Mac, you can use System Profiler.
    1. Choose Apple menu > About This Mac.
    2. Click More Info to open System Profiler. (Or open the Apple System Profiler application located in /Applications/Utilities.)
    3. Click the topics on the left to see the information you're looking for. To see more detail, click the triangle next to an item.

Now if you do have an Intel Mac, you can buy a copy of Snow Leopard for about €30. If you don't have an Intel Mac you can still buy a copy of Leopard (10.5) and update it to 10.5.8, though a copy of Leopard (according to Amazon.co.uk) will set you back nearly €140.

Hope that helps clear up the confusion. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

I don't own a Mac myself, but from what I understand Snow Leopard is quite stable, especially if it's patched to version 10.6.6.

The main system requirements for Snow Leopard are a Mac computer with an Intel processor, 1GB of RAM, a DVD drive for installation and 5GB of available hard disk space.

The main problem with upgrading to Snow Leopard is that Macs with PowerPC processors are not supported. In order to use Snow Leopard you need a Mac with an Intel processor.

In order to determine what kind of processor you have for your Mac, you can use System Profiler.
    1. Choose Apple menu > About This Mac.
    2. Click More Info to open System Profiler. (Or open the Apple System Profiler application located in /Applications/Utilities.)
    3. Click the topics on the left to see the information you're looking for. To see more detail, click the triangle next to an item.

Now if you do have an Intel Mac, you can buy a copy of Snow Leopard for about €30. If you don't have an Intel Mac you can still buy a copy of Leopard (10.5) and update it to 10.5.8, though a copy of Leopard (according to Amazon.co.uk) will set you back nearly €140.

Hope that helps clear up the confusion. :)

thanks, i have an Intel Core 2 Duo processor on the mac, but i don't think i have a dvd drive (any idea how i check that one??

30 bucks is quite reasonable!!

sorry for being a dumbass!!:)

edit: actually it has iDVD so i assume i do have a DVD drive... doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Unless you've manually replaced it with a CD drive (no idea why you'd do that) or it's not working then yep, you have a DVD drive.

And you're grand. :D

Advertisement