Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sentosa Gym Kilkee going unused

Options
  • 29-01-2011 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hey anyone know if it will re-open, its been nearly two years now since it opened its doors, I went up in September for a look and spoke to a lady inside who said "we are re-opening in two weeks", never opened :(. I am sure it would do great buisness, its a shame really :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

Hey anyone know if it will re-open, its been nearly two years now since it opened its doors, I went up in September for a look and spoke to a lady inside who said "we are re-opening in two weeks", never opened :(. I am sure it would do great buisness, its a shame really :)

A local group has formed a company and done it up. The owners, one of the banks, are dragging their heels on signing the contract. When they sign it will open. it is ready to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

Cheers, if you get any more information on a open date I would love to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kayleighkk

i also went in and spoke to the girl that wass waiting in the gym and she said t2weeks well that must have been before xmas!!!! ther is now 2 gyms in kilkee that have closed down!! the nearest gym to us now is ennis and not everyone can get there! i think they need to hurry on if they re opening sentosa they will make so much money!!! is there any update weather its is going to open or not?????

kayleighkk wrote: »
    i also went in and spoke to the girl that wass waiting in the gym and she said t2weeks well that must have been before xmas!!!! ther is now 2 gyms in kilkee that have closed down!! the nearest gym to us now is ennis and not everyone can get there! i think they need to hurry on if they re opening sentosa they will make so much money!!! is there any update weather its is going to open or not?????
    I was told a few months ago the deal to open it had fell through :(

I was told a few months ago the deal to open it had fell through :(

It had but it is not dead yet.

• Advertisement

Palmach wrote: »
    It had but it is not dead yet.
    Any news on it ?

Any news on it ?

Some legal tooing and froing I believe. Not yet dead. Something has to happen as it is a tax break and it is closed breaching the conditions I assume.

Palmach wrote: »
    Some legal tooing and froing I believe. Not yet dead. Something has to happen as it is a tax break and it is closed breaching the conditions I assume.
    Thanks for the information man, can't see them opening up for the Summer :(

Please note that Sentosa is now open again as Kilkee Swimgym. There is an open day on Sunday and the Gym is opening from Monday with the pool open later in the week. It is now owned by a local group of people and is being billed as a community fitness centre. They are looking for shareholders and members.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Suppose NAMA sold it to the locals?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

finbarrk wrote: »
    Does it matter? Personally I think it's a great example of locals doing something to benefit the locality, it would have been very easy for people to sit back and do nothing but complain about how the government/EU/Atari Jaguar are to blame for everything.

Not only is Kilkee an example to Ireland because of the RSA ad (love that ad btw) but also showing how people can help themselves, I hope it survives, next time I'm back there I'm definitely going to call in.

finbarrk wrote: »

Actually it wasn't. I have heard it was a bank. Furthermore if NAMA get involved in helping local communities help themselves it will do some good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Story re the reopening and new owners is in current Clare Champion.

http://www.clarechampion.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8731:five-jobs-created-at-kilkee-community-fitness-centre&catid=67:human-interest&Itemid=60

Amazed by the bit at the end of the story about how the population of Kilkee has fallen by 22% or 301 people since the census of 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Balagan wrote: »
    Story re the reopening and new owners is in current Clare Champion.

http://www.clarechampion.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8731:five-jobs-created-at-kilkee-community-fitness-centre&catid=67:human-interest&Itemid=60

Amazed by the bit at the end of the story about how the population of Kilkee has fallen by 22% or 301 people since the census of 2006.

Sure they are all being killed off in car crashes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Ron Weasley

Anyone know prices etc and if you can pay per day, I don't want to get a membership and have it close down next month, thanks

Anyone know prices etc and if you can pay per day, I don't want to get a membership and have it close down next month, thanks

Got these yesterday from someone who was at the open day. He said they didn't seem too keen on people paying per day. Seemingly there was trouble with groups of yobs coming in just for the day and wrecking the place

ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP:
    Single adult: € 350 cash Standing order: € 100 deposit plus 12 x € 35 monthly payment
    Couple : € 550 cash Standing order: € 200 deposit plus 12 x € 55 monthly payment
    Family: € 700 cash + € 50 for 5th and subsequent child. Standing order: € 250 deposit plus 12 x € 70 monthly payment
    (all monthly payments to be made on 1st or 15th of each month)

Organisation concession for 10+ members: all above cash prices less 10%
    Golden Years concession for over 60's: Single or couple adult less 10%

6 MONTHLY CONCESSION RATE:
    Single adult € 230
    Couple € 360
    Family € 455 + € 30 for 5th and subsequent child

3 MONTH SUMMER RATE:
    To be introduced next May/June

Thanks alot for that, seems like really fair prices but as far yobs wrecking the place, nothing but lies, they just don't want people paying per day as it wouldn't be financially viable I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

No reflection on this business whatsoever, but I would be wary of handing over cash to any business now for anything, even if just a deposit. If you pay by card at least there's a chance of recouping if anything goes wrong.

Im in the same boat, if I could come up with the money I don't think I could afford a membership with the recent history of the place, I really hope Sentosa takes off well so. The not accepting day fees is annoying :mad:

Im in the same boat, if I could come up with the money I don't think I could afford a membership with the recent history of the place, I really hope Sentosa takes off well so. The not accepting day fees is annoying :mad:
    Id say they will have a day fee but it will not be advertised. I cant see them refusing business

• Advertisement

Thanks Pal, has anyone here being up since it opened, is the future looking bright or is it too early to say

Thanks Pal, has anyone here being up since it opened, is the future looking bright or is it too early to say

It is a tenner for one day. Covers the whole day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

Anyone know what time it opens, closes etc :) ?

Anyone know what time it opens, closes etc :) ?

7 in the morning till 10 at night I believe.

Advertisement