Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New MBP or upgrade

Options
  • 29-01-2011 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi

I've got a late 2007 MBP with 2gb ram and a 160gb hard drive, I use this for music production with Logic and Maschine and also some DJ stuff with Traktor Pro. I have been thinking about buying an MBP at the next update or upgrading my current model and possibly purchasing an iMac sometime in the future. Can anyone offer some advice as to what to do. Would there be notable difference between mine and say the curet line MBP's or would i be as well to just upgrade my current model to 4gb ram and a 7200rpm 500gb HD and hold off for a while and purchase an iMac when I have the cash?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The current i5 models would offer a pretty big boost, but if it's a 13 inch you are considering then there probably wouldn't be a huge improvement. Wait and see what the next refresh is like. Shouldn't be too long now.

As for getting an iMac instead, only you can answer that. Do you need a desktop, would you benefit from having two computers, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Talisman

I have the previous generation computer from 2006 (MacBookPro2,1) which is supports only 3GB of RAM. Last year I considered getting a new model to replace it but decided on upgrading the RAM and HD instead. The extra 1GB of RAM makes a significant difference to OS X and the faster hard drive also helps, all that remains now is to replace the battery and the computer is as good as new.

Your MBP can support 4GB officially, that would make an improvement to the performance of the OS for everyday application use. The older MBP models shipped with 4,200 rpm hard drives, it allowed Apple to cheat in the battery hours stakes. Replacing the hard drive with a 7,200 rpm / Hybrid / SSD drive will speed things up considerably.

To upgrade or buy a replacement you will have to decide yourself, if you upgrade you'll add a few more years to the lifetime of the computer. Replacing the computer with an iCore model won't necessarily give you any additional benefit unless you use applications that utilise the processor.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I have a standard 2010 MacBook, and really fancy a MBP, but with the money situation this year being a bit tight, I might just upgrade my ram and HD!

Without having to start another thread, what's the most ram my MacBook can support?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Talisman

The MacBook supports 4GB RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 hephph

Thanks for the comments guys, I've took the plunge and ordered the ram upgrade kit from crucial and the hard drive from amazon. Came to about €140. Will post back once I've done the upgrade and let you know how it goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

hephph wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments guys, I've took the plunge and ordered the ram upgrade kit from crucial and the hard drive from amazon. Came to about €140. Will post back once I've done the upgrade and let you know how it goes

I recently upgrade my MBP from 2 to 4GB and it made a significant difference, in general use (tend to use Safari with a lot of tabs). So I think you'll notice a difference.

- barry

Advertisement