Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to read Allen Carr today

Options
  • 29-01-2011 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

The time has come to post here. 38, smoked since I was about 22. Read the Allen Carr book about 5 years ago and was off them for about three to four months then went on them again.:mad:

But I HAVE to quit now. Obvious health reasons aside, I cannot afford them. They are such a waste of money that I don't have.

I've gone through two really major events very recently and was smoking more and am sick of that awful feeling in my chest when I wake up.

Anyone have any success stories?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Hi Sunflower, Off the cigs for 57 days now, Health reasons, Age 40 felt
    Like a 70 year old, everything was a pain to do,feeling like I had no energy
    For even the simple things in life.

Now I got plenty of energy for things, I love going for a walk with the dogs
    In the park. Nothing is too much hassle, life is a lot less stressful.
    I used to get depressed over not being able to do things, but not now.

Physically and mentally way better. The cravings dont come as often as before, I went the patches way, the sister in law went the allen car easy way and has not picked up a cig in four years with no cravings.

All the best, we are stronger than our addictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Thanks for that.

I was out last night and smoked way too much. Was going to go for a swim but my chest hurt and i felt exhausted. What a waste.

It's great to hear positive stories. And well done on day 57. That's fantastic!!!!

I am already thinking how much further my money will go. It's ridiculous the cost of them isnt it. And for what - to make us stink, feel like sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Hi there,

Like you, the first time I read the Allen Carr book I gave up for a couple of months and then went back. But the second time, I started it one night when I felt really determined to quit and I kept reading until I finished the whole book. I've been off them since - and that was 9 years ago!

The thing that used to really help me was when I got cravings I used to imagine that the cravings were lots of little nicotine receptors in my body being destroyed. It seemed to help. The good news is that life without cigarettes is miles better than being a smoker. The hardest thing about giving up is you feel that life won't be as enjoyable if you can't have a smoke. Rubbish! The opposite is the case.

Best of luck - you will do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Hi Sunflower, Off the cigs for 57 days now, Health reasons, Age 40 felt
    Like a 70 year old, everything was a pain to do,feeling like I had no energy
    For even the simple things in life.

Now I got plenty of energy for things, I love going for a walk with the dogs
    In the park. Nothing is too much hassle, life is a lot less stressful.
    I used to get depressed over not being able to do things, but not now.

Physically and mentally way better. The cravings dont come as often as before, I went the patches way, the sister in law went the allen car easy way and has not picked up a cig in four years with no cravings.

All the best, we are stronger than our addictions.

Well done to you! If I could give you one piece of advice it would be not to keep count of the days like you're counting down to something. You have not given up smoking - you have stopped, for good. It's time to get on with your wonderful new life - no need to count back to the days when you were a smelly, spluttery smoker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Anniemags

Hey, have just read alot of the posts in re to smoking, inspiring stuff! I am going to try to make tomorrow the first day of my new non-smoking life!! I made a half arsed attempt back in early Jan resolution mode but I am going to try make a comeback tomorrow. Anyone else at the very early stage in quitting? Think this forums great for motivation. Daily encouragement from people other than non smoking family and friends is great to have access to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement