Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do mature students have to apply as mature students?

Options
  • 29-01-2011 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Ok question might seem a little confusing, but i'm just wondering if you are old enough to be considered a mature student do you have to apply as one? Or can you apply through the CAO as a student who would be applying for college for the first time.

I'm guessing you have to say you're a mature student, otherwise your LC points would be brought into account. I have a degree and masters from UCC already but im thinking about going back again, and i'm wondering how you apply. Also it's a balls because there isn't many mature student places in any course in ucc outside of arts. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭December

You can apply as both iirc :) Check out the mature students forum they should be able to help further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Nelly2

Yeah, you can apply as both school-leaver (with your LC points) or as a mature student. IMO you're better off doing both as it gives you two routes to get into your chosen course.
    Make sure you look into fees and funding as you might be unlikely to get any due to already holding a degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭raz86

oh ya i know i wont get any funding funding for it. i will have to pay myself. i got my degree free, paid for my masters. i might be able to get a grant but i havent really looked into it. i think the cao applications close tomorrow so ive missed my chance unless there is a late application option. i dunno, i was only thinking about going back anyway. maybe its not the right thing to do. thanks for your replies guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

raz86 wrote: »
    oh ya i know i wont get any funding funding for it. i will have to pay myself. i got my degree free, paid for my masters. i might be able to get a grant but i havent really looked into it. i think the cao applications close tomorrow so ive missed my chance unless there is a late application option. i dunno, i was only thinking about going back anyway. maybe its not the right thing to do. thanks for your replies guys :)

You might struggle to get the back to education grant if you're not moving up the food chain i.e. applying for a Phd

i've never got any form of grant now, but i know i would be able to get one now. thats not the point as much as deciding what i should do if i go back. i already have two unrelated degrees and i want to do something i can make a career of. i thought maybe law or nursing but there's no jobs anywhere anyway so whats the point :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Civil, Electrical and Energy engineering all have mature students - that probably means the Eng & Food science Dept accept mature students as thats the Dept. those 3 courses belong to

i've never got any form of grant now, but i know i would be able to get one now. thats not the point as much as deciding what i should do if i go back. i already have two unrelated degrees and i want to do something i can make a career of. i thought maybe law or nursing but there's no jobs anywhere anyway so whats the point :(

2 unrelated degrees, law or nursing! You should sit down with a decent career advisor (you'll struggle to find one in UCC).

Either that or join the army/volunteer abroad for a couple of years.

the career service in ucc isn't great. can anyone recommend something else?

the career service in ucc isn't great. can anyone recommend something else?

Email I got today:
    Events: Employers on Campus and Career Talks
    Tuesday 1st February
    Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Backpack to Briefcase Seminar
    Elec L1
    1pm
    Tuesday 1st February
    Career Bootcamp: Winning Job Applications (CVs and Cover Letters). To book your place email allison.carroll@ucc.ie
    Click here for information on all six Career Bootcamp workshops:
    ORB132
    4pm
    Tuesday 1st February
    Washington Ireland Programme
    Boole 2
    6pm
    Wednesday 2nd February
    Just Ask: Careers Advisor available for informal chat
    Boole Basement
    12-2pm
    Thursday 3rd February
    Deloitte - Undergraduate Opportunities
    ORB_255
    11am
    Thursday 3rd February
    Kerry Group - Graduate Opportunities
    Boole 2
    6pm
    Thursday 3rd February
    VisaFirst (information on your options for working abroad)
    WW7
    12noon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Nelly2

i think the cao applications close tomorrow so ive missed my chance unless there is a late application option.

Actually, as a Mature Student you have til close of business, 5.15pm today. You could still do it!!
    If you want to go the School Leaver / LC route you can use the Late Application (01 May I think)
    However, if you're more than a little undecided you could just wait til next year and put plenty of research and effort into next years application.

Also, I recommend you contact Admissions as (something in the back of my mind says) there is a slight chance that you may be able to apply direct to UCC and avoid CAO entirely.

• Advertisement

thanks nelly, that's pretty decent advice. i don't want to rush into anything, and i was at a funeral all day so missed the 5.15pm application time.

i did hear something along the lines of if you have a degree from a college you want to reapply to already you can apply directly, but i'm not sure if its true. i need to think about this a lot more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 moneypenny79

there is no direct application for Mature students applying to UCC, all applications are through the CAO by the Feb 1st deadline. you could still apply on the basis of your LC points and make an application via that route but your Mature Student route is now closed.

Advertisement