Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's NUIM Gym like?

Options
  • 29-01-2011 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi

I was just wondering what is the gym on campus like. I was thinking of going in the second term with a friend but I've never been to this gym or any gym in my life.

What kinda equipment has the gym on campus got?

Any tips for a gym nOOb (sarcasm aside please :D)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Because I'm lazy. :rolleyes:

Here's your answer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭mp3guy

And incase the OP is too lazy to wade through a 7 page topic;

http://sports.nuim.ie/facilities/NUIMFitnessCentre.shtml

Weekdays is gets busier as the day goes on, before 10.30 / 11.00 is usually nice and quiet. After 6 forget it, everyone is in there (the beginning of semesters are particularly bad).

Not sure about weekends, quieter I think. And in Summer its usually quiet enough most of the time.

If you go, please don't smell and for godsake wipe the machines down when you're done with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

For a free gym, tis well stocked, and if you time your visits as mp3guy said above, you'll mostly have it to yourself.

Weekends are generally quiet but the hours are severly diminished in comparison to teh weekdays, so plan ahead! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsis

mp3guy wrote: »
    If you go, please don't smell and for godsake wipe the machines down when you're done with them.

Please don't, i had some girl stink me out of the place last week cos she had to much deodrant on I could hardly see it was that bad!

For a free gym it's great, but obviously nothing fancy, there's no TVs or anything like that that would be in other gyms that you'd pay for. If you're going to use a machine that's noisy, like the treadmill, I'd suggest bringing your own mp3 as most of the time you can't hear the music. I would definitly suggest going early in the day when it's less likely for many to be there. I'm fit enough but still feel a bit intimidated if I can't run for as long as other people. If you're a girl (like me) it can feel a bit weird walking into the gym as all the weight are at the door where you go in and there's all these huge guys doing weights, I still leg it to the other end of the gym when I go in. That's the only bad thing about it, the weights, I would always do some small weights at any other gym but would feel like I can't there cos of all the guys and don't even think they'd have small enough ones for me.

And again please don't smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Also be aware that in the early morning, depending on the day, there may be quite a few sports scholarship people there. It can pack out the area down by the weights. Good news is that a lot of the time its the space they use rather than all of the weights/equipment, so if you can squeeze in its all good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement