Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biological and Chemical Science

Options
  • 29-01-2011 1:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

I'm finalising my CAO choices and I'm really tempted to put this first or at least second and I just have a few questions.
    -What is the actual uni and students like?
    -What is the night life around Cork like?
    -How hard is the psychics? I only do Biology and Chemistry at Leaving Cert and wasn't a fan of psychics at Junior Cert:/
    -Is there high competition to spend the third year abroad?
    -Overall, do you enjoy your time in UCC and would you recommend this course?
    If you have any other info I would really appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

I'm not in BioChem myself, but I think I can answer a few questions.
    -Uni is pretty god, fairly large campus, few places to get food and stuff. The students are the same as I would expect from any other uni I suppose.
    -Nightlife in Cork is very good. Tuesday and Thursday are the main college nights, but its pretty busy Fridays and Saturdays as well. And Wednesdays can be pretty good.
    - As I said, I'm noot in Biochem myself, but everone I know who is doing it or Chem sciences enjoy the course.

Personally I quite like the college. Good social life, loads of clubs and societies.
    You might find these threads useful.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055634501
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055462244

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Solus01

Aodan83 wrote: »
    I'm not in BioChem myself, but I think I can answer a few questions.
    -Uni is pretty god, fairly large campus, few places to get food and stuff. The students are the same as I would expect from any other uni I suppose.
    -Nightlife in Cork is very good. Tuesday and Thursday are the main college nights, but its pretty busy Fridays and Saturdays as well. And Wednesdays can be pretty good.
    - As I said, I'm noot in Biochem myself, but everone I know who is doing it or Chem sciences enjoy the course.

Personally I quite like the college. Good social life, loads of clubs and societies.
    You might find these threads useful.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055634501
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055462244

Thanks for the links and the information, really appreciate it. I don't know anyone else applying for UCC so I'm just a bit apprehensive about it all but I've decided to put it no.1 on my CAO. Just got to get the points now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

I'm in first year of this course myself, the Physics isn't too bad so far, I was the same as you as in I had done Biology and Chemistry in the LC. Everyones pretty much in the same boat regarding Physics, it isn't the worst as you only have to pass it in 1st year and the continuous assessment helps you out a good bit. The college gives really helpful tutorials and grinds aswell so you shouldn't fall behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 rainraingoaway

Hi :):):)
    just wondering about this course is it more like Science Choice like in other colleges ?
    I was put off by the name tbh CHEMICAL :confused:
    but now i see it has lots of options after the first year:):) .
    Its just i've never done chem/physics so would i struggle an awful lot ?
    And will the points go up this year for it do you think ? i know most courses are going to be more points esp this year :(

Anyway any info very much appreciated

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 BCMP

Hi :):):)
    just wondering about this course is it more like Science Choice like in other colleges ?
    I was put off by the name tbh CHEMICAL :confused:
    but now i see it has lots of options after the first year:):) .
    Its just i've never done chem/physics so would i struggle an awful lot ?
    And will the points go up this year for it do you think ? i know most courses are going to be more points esp this year :(

I'm in first year BioChem, and love it,:D:D however I don't know how it shapes up compared to other college's courses.
    You should be fine, I only did Biology for the leaving also, so chem and physics are new to me, and honestly they're grand! Both Chemistry and Physics are tough, but as long as you put in a minimum amount of work reading over lecture notes and do the assignments, it's grand. Physics is especially tough at times, but I'm telling ya, "Physics for Dummies" is a godsend of a book! Will have ya passing no problem. You haven't to do physics in second year, so don't worry about it too much :rolleyes:

Having "Chemical" in the course name doesn't mean much, as Chemistry is worth 15 credits for 1st year, along with Physics, and the Biology is worth 20, so it's more Biology than anything, and alot of the Biology is revision from the leaving anyway. :D

Noone can predict points accurately but I'll guess that they'll rise, however I doubt they'd go over 400 or anywhere near it so around that should do you fine. :cool:

Oh, and go to all the tutorials, seriously, even if friends are skipping out for the whole year, they help a bunch with problem solving for exams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056155349

Thats the same thing up above ^^

Have any other questions about the actual Chemistry module mail me :)

BCMP has also given a pretty accurate answer.

But yea any other questions you know where to hit me!

Advertisement