Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for a dedicated 'Stolen Bike' thread

Options
  • 28-01-2011 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

Dunno -maybe instead of having threads dotted about the place just have 1 dedicated thread or sticky.
    Just a thought. I dont have many...

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I personally think that you'll get better coverage if you have a separate thread for each case.

How would people feel about some kind of record which would have nothing to do with boards.ie for registering bikes and keeping an eye for stolen ones?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Probably not, it'll just join the list of stickies that I ignore. I still haven't read the charter :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

coolbeans wrote: »
    Probably not, it'll just join the list of stickies that I ignore. I still haven't read the charter :p
    THERE'S A CHARTER....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think that, from a utilitarian perspective, they're a complete waste of time unless the bike is really unusual or very expensive.

However, if it's my bike that gets nicked, I want STICKIES WITH ALL CAPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭positron

I thin a thread dedicated to bikes would be very useful.

My inexpensive but massively useful mtb was stollen last week and didn't want to start a thread - However if there was a thread, I could have posted a photo and details somewhere just in case someone wanted to check here before they buy something off someone..!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

positron wrote: »
    My inexpensive but massively useful mtb was stollen last week and didn't want to start a thread - However if there was a thread, I could have posted a photo and details somewhere just in case someone wanted to check here before they buy something off someone..!

The problem is identifying the bikes. If this system had any effect, the thieves would just start swapping parts. You'd need to register and check frame numbers, which would then get filed off.

The simplest thing is to ask for proof of purchase when you buy the bike. If people handed over receipts when they sold a bike on, there would be no issue. Apart from forgeries.

However I think about this problem, it seems entirely futile given that most people can't even secure their bikes properly in the first place (there are exceptions, but not many).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭positron

The thing about a thread like this is, you don't have to actively follow it post by post (it's great if you do), but it would pop up IF (big if) a potential buyer does a google search before buying one.

For instance if Joe Average saw a Trek 1.2 for sale in dungdeal and google's about it, many boards.ie thread should pop up right on top of the google search and hopefully he would quickly glance over the stolen bikes thread, and IF (another big if) he is a boardsie and might even post there about the ad/bike.

If carlsberg did stolen bike threads... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

I think there should be something here on boards. Something similar to the nutrition forum in the fitness section.

Ive seen threads started where guys leave a bike at a luas station overnight and then start a thread here when it gets nicked. To my mind that is ridiculous!

My position is I have a 2.5k carbon bike that does not leave my sight whilst outside the shed. I wouldnt dream of leaving this bike locked anywhere but my shed.

What I would like is a run around bike where if it was knicked it wouldnt be the end of the world. Something I could hop on without all the gear and head to work/shops etc.

Prevention is better than cure so I would love something like the above. Maybe a "Your not gonna steal this f88cker" sticky?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

A single thread would be a messy way of doing it, lots of posts, hard to follow and unmaneageably large after a while.

A subforum like the ads and training logs would be better with a thread for each stolen bike. A stolen bike report is essentially an advert after all, it's just more of a 'Wanted!' ad than a for sale one...;)

If the bike was described in the thread title, it would be easy to search and cross check with bikes on sale elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭tfrancer

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    A single thread would be a messy way of doing it, lots of posts, hard to follow and unmaneageably large after a while.

A subforum like the ads and training logs would be better with a thread for each stolen bike. A stolen bike report is essentially an advert after all, it's just more of a 'Wanted!' ad than a for sale one...;)

If the bike was described in the thread title, it would be easy to search and cross check with bikes on sale elsewhere.

Yes, a subforum sounds like a good idea.......could it incorporate a sticky on bike security issues: locks, house etc......there was a thread developing on house burglary but the mods deemed it to be drifting off topic.....(not a criticism)...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Maybe a 1 post-no chatter thread.
    Something like
    'My bike a TREK 6400f was robbed from the front of my local pub. It has the words TimAllenRules written on it.It is pink in colour and was locked with a piece of rope. Reported to Carrigstown Gardai. If spotted please get in touch with Sgt Bella at the above Garda station or me via pm (if user is allowed)'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I think there should be one sticky, and each postage would be one photo with data and loaction that is a link to a thread on that bike. No discussion in it. Very quick to browse.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We discussed this when reviewing the stickies a few months ago. We have now tidied up the stickies and reduced them to two in the main forum. I do not see any point is starting more pemanent stickies in the main forum for something like this

We considered putting a sticky in the cycling adverts sub-forum, but there were a couple of issues:

1. The cycling adverts sub-forum receives a lot less traffic than the main forum, resulting in a lot less exposure for the stolen bike details. There will be a tendence from some to simply start a new thread anyway to maximise exposure
    2. Most of the stolen bike threads are from people who do not regularly post in the cycling forum, and they are more likely to start a new thread in the main forum than seek out a stickied thread in the adverts sub-forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I personally think that you'll get better coverage if you have a separate thread for each case.

How would people feel about some kind of record which would have nothing to do with boards.ie for registering bikes and keeping an eye for stolen ones?

It would be pretty easy to set up, I've considered this and after looking into it there is worldwide ones, But an Irish based one would be better, All you'd need is an image uploader, Google Map and a database to store the stuff.

Pretty easy really!

Edit: If theres enough interest I'd gladly help set one up, Could get it up and running for about €60!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Lumen wrote: »
    I think that, from a utilitarian perspective, they're a complete waste of time unless the bike is really unusual or very expensive.

However, if it's my bike that gets nicked, I want STICKIES WITH ALL CAPS.

Likewise. I really don't care if somebodies BSO or poorly locked Trek gets nicked. However if its mine, which is doubtful because I would never lock my bike on the street or indeed anywhere, it will be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

mloc123 wrote: »
    Likewise. I really don't care if somebodies BSO or poorly locked Trek gets nicked. However if its mine, which is doubtful because I would never lock my bike on the street or indeed anywhere, it will be a different story.

Steady on ta fcuk! My poorly locked Trek was nicked yesterday and I'm still grieving. What about me and my feelings?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Right, Well this is a very very very simple example or what could be set up.

Basically if there was interest in this, I'd have a login/email confirm system for each stolen bike, The "More Info" button would link to a bike profile where they'll be a photo (or more) and more information and contact details.

At the moment it's just a simple Map...

http://richardtphoto.com/gmapi/index.html

Anyone think it would be worth setting up?

Advertisement