Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what causes ocd?

Options
  • 28-01-2011 7:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭

i think my flatmate may have ocd. hes immaculate, all the time cleaning the house, weighing portions of his food, wont eat certain foods and is always timing when cooking food. hes a pure perfectionist but im not a psychologist, i cant even spell it but i know his behaviour is different from average people. what causes ocd?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

slum dog wrote: »
    what causes ocd?

What causes any psychological disorder?

It's Multifactorial. There is always a range of intertwining causes - biological, genetic, childhood experiences, environment, social circumstances, culture, adolescent experiences, personality................. etc etc etc.

We can never tell exactly what causes one particular individual to develop a particular disorder - we can hypothesise, but never know for certain.

But you might find ocdireland useful!

EDIT: just read original post properly. !!! bloody hell. maybe he just likes things clean and - jeez, I time my cooking!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i think my flatmate may have ocd. hes immaculate, all the time cleaning the house, weighing portions of his food, wont eat certain foods and is always timing when cooking food. hes a pure perfectionist but im not a psychologist, i cant even spell it but i know his behaviour is different from average people. what causes ocd?

Is he on a diet/has an allergy? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭slum dog

its not just that. hes a fitness freak too. hes up 7 am most mornings running or swimming or something lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

its not just that. hes a fitness freak too. hes up 7 am most mornings running or swimming or something lol

So he's a fitness freak who eats carefully?
    Sounds like most people in the fitness forum :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Agreed. There is a normal range of obsessionality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

I dont think that is real OCD. I am fussy about food and weigh stuff, but I dont not step on cracks and lock the door 6 times. I think he is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

JG009 wrote: »
    I dont think that is real OCD. I am fussy about food and weigh stuff, but I dont not step on cracks and lock the door 6 times. I think he is normal.

Based on what training? We do not diagnosis here, so unless you have something to add to the discussion that is within the charter, I think it is time to stop posting on this topic. This is a warning.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Perfectionism is more indicative of a personality type not a specific disorder. At extreme levels, or at least where the patterns are pervasive and maladaptive they may be related to ocpd (obsessive compulsive personality disorder). This is the "a place for everything and everything in it's place" type of person. OCD is a specific anxiety disorder which has little to do with perfectionism. It involves specific triggers leading to intrusive obsessional thoughts which lead to an immediate rise in anxiety. The anxiety is reduced by compulsive behaviours. Causes are undoubtedly multi-factorial but I believe the disposition is genetic while the development and maintenance of the problem is psychosocial.

Advertisement