Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trainer Tyre on the Road?

Options
  • 28-01-2011 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was just about to leave to pick up a van from mechanic so I was going to cycle but realised I left my pump in the van and the road wheel and tyre I have is too deflated to cycle on. The trainer wheel on the bike at the moment is fine, is it ok to cycle 15km on it even though it's for "trainer use only" :o

Quick answers appreciated :) Don't want to end up flat at the side of the road!

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Never tried it, but they are described as "trainer only" for a reason. They won't have any puncture protection, and will have less grip than a normal tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hmmm! I have the normal road tyre on the front, so grip shouldn't really be an issue, it's more the puncture I'd be worried about!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

thumbs_up.png Death likes this.

Never got the chance to try it out in the end. Being spoilt with a decent track pump lead me to forget I had one on the bleedin bike itself! So it's a no no for future anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Choose life Cormie. Choose regular tyres for road use rather than trainer tyres.

• Advertisement

Would it really be that risky with them? I got a separate wheel and tyre set specifically for the turbo so I can just swap in a minute or two when time for the road, it's just I hadn't been on the road in months so the road one had deflated so was just wondering would it be safe for 15k :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

A guy in our club rode a trainer tyre on a 100km spin and lived. Personally, I would ride one home very slowly and tiptoe around the corners in an emergency, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Try to pull a continental training tyre onto a rim with your bare hands, then do the same with a regular tyre from the same manufacturer. Just feel the difference in texture. Your hands will struggle for grip on the trainer tyre, especially on the edges where you would corner, compared to the regular tyre. I just performed this operation earlier on. And if my hands can barely grip that tyre under pressure, then I am not confident that tyre can grip the road very well under pressure either.

Thanks for the input :) Will definitely avoid it, but good to know it and the rider survived 100km if it's ever a case of a quick spin with no other option :)

Advertisement