Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

direct debit problems

Options
  • 28-01-2011 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

i just have been informed by aib staff that since january this year there is nothing i can do to stop (today's) direct debit payment

(i did that couple of times already, not in aib though)

basically i was charged +150% extra on top of my regular €40 monthly payment and i wanted to explain that first - as i know that when any company put their hand on that money it is a lot harder to reason with them

so far i successfully did that in couple banks abroad - what they have there is 5 business days to stop direct debit after it is visible in your account, with immediate refund - so i have no problems with using it to pay my bills

but with aib if company authorized to direct debit your account decide to charge you any amount they like all you can do is just ask them politely to explain...

well, no more direct debits on my aib account, that's for sure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

The Irish Payment Services Organisation sets out your rights under the direct debit scheme, and some of these are supported by EU regulations which came into being in the last 12 months or so.

Basically, you must receive at least 7 days notice of the amounts to be debited. If it's a set amount every month (e.g. insurance), this is usually set out at the start of the contract. If it's variable, it must be sent to you at least 7 days beforehand by either post, SMS or email.

As for stopping or refusing debits, I haven't heard of being able to stop a debit on the day of the debit. Your rights in that regard are to be able to stop it by close of business of the day before it's due to come out. However, you are entitled to a refund if you weren't given notice or if a debit was made of an amount that exceeded the amount you would have reasonably expected. So if your €40 + 150% was because of unpaid bills for the last few months, then the company could argue that you should have reasonably expected it. If it's a figure pulled out of thin air, then I think you have a case to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Something similar happened to me and I cancelled the direct debit with the Bank, and the Bank were able to somehow reverse the direct debit but it took about 2/3 days to come back in to my account so it can be done

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭m4rkiz

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    Something similar happened to me and I cancelled the direct debit with the Bank, and the Bank were able to somehow reverse the direct debit but it took about 2/3 days to come back in to my account so it can be done

not in aib - they informed me today that they can't do anything about today's direct debit that was over €100 instead of €40

all explanation they gave me was: "there is new policy from january 1st and we can't do that"

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

m4rkiz wrote: »
    not in aib - they informed me today that they can't do anything about today's direct debit that was over €100 instead of €40

all explanation they gave me was: "there is new policy from january 1st and we can't do that"

Must be new policy so, happened to me last summer

i'll think twice from now on about setting direct debit, if i can't control it in properly it is not too much of convenience.

btw. aib website still clearly states:

"Queries can be resolved quickly and easily by the Payer's Bank, which can make an immediate refund."

will have to visit them again on monday perhaps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

If a DD leaves your account for more than you expect and you have not been told its called an "Unauthorised Transaction". These must be refunded on the day they are charged subject to signing of forms/indemnities if that bank requests.

This was brought in last year. Sending a DD back is an IT issue and may not be possible. But the processes for U.A. is differenet. Bank takes hit and seeks funds back from originator. If the originator proves the charge was legit it may be charged again, this is cover in the indemnity you'd sign.

yes, they cancel that after i visited them again on monday and explained my situation to another person

Advertisement