Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Cycle Case.

Options
  • 28-01-2011 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Looking at this at the moment - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18012

I am heading back to Australia, taking the bike with me. Has anyone got opinions on that one?

Any better suggestions?

I dont trust airlines not to chuck it around the place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I wouldn't bother buying an expensive travel case for a single (one way?) journey. Just get a cardboard box from a bike shop and take the time to pack it well. Spend the saving in Duty Free.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

+1 on what Morgan said. Last year I put my bike on an Aer Lingus flight without packing because the website said I could buy this at the airport for a couple of euros, but they didn't have any. The bike is still going strong. I plan on running into an LBS and asking for a box before returning this year.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

+1 on cardboard bicycle box - sturdy old yokes.

Plenty of youtube & general articles out there on how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

It wont just be one time, so I got the case. I will be travelling as staff, so I want it looking like luggage :)

AH JAYSIS.

Its bleedin massive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Jumpy wrote: »
    AH JAYSIS.

Its bleedin massive.

It'll still be a pain getting the bike into it - they're never big enough :).

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kfod

there is one on donedeal at the mo:

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gentsbicycles/1853348

big looking yoke's alright. I took my DH bike to Morzine last year and there was a nice big ding in the downtube on arrival there. It wasn't wrapped in anything tho.

Morgan wrote: »
    It'll still be a pain getting the bike into it - they're never big enough :).

I could fit into this and I am 6ft 16 stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

It looks good. Let us know how you get on putting the bike into the box. Any problems?

Be sure to put the wheel quick release skewers, saddle, pedals, bike computer and all the other little bits into the box as you dismantle the bike. Don't put them to one side to pack in later.

Advertisement