Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windgap transport

Options
  • 28-01-2011 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I am a mammy of three moving to the Windgap area in the next month. We are hoping to get a live in minder/au-pair, and I am just wondering if anyone can tell me if there are buses or anything into the city. The girl we were thinking about doesn't drive, and while I will be happy to give her a lift I am sure she would like a bit of independence too. Also, if anyone else has an au-pair who could do with a new friend maybe they could let me know?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 titsmahgee

F1fan wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I am a mammy of three moving to the Windgap area in the next month. We are hoping to get a live in minder/au-pair, and I am just wondering if anyone can tell me if there are buses or anything into the city. The girl we were thinking about doesn't drive, and while I will be happy to give her a lift I am sure she would like a bit of independence too. Also, if anyone else has an au-pair who could do with a new friend maybe they could let me know?

Thanks in advance.

Cant imagine any buses going to Kilkenny stopping in Windgap? But ud never know. Probably have to go as far as Callan for a bus id say.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Buses to Windgap, I'm afraid your options are likely very limited.
    Bus Eireann etc stop in Callan but thats about 10km away from Windgap

I'm not aware of any buses that go through windgap, I've seen ring a link up that way a few times but no idea how that operates or even what it costs. Try google for info on them I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 39,100 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Phone the Windgap post office and they'll be able to tell you for sure - mine of information, it is. I see it's not listed in the white pages, possibly because it's a sub-post office, but a search brought up this number...
    051-648201
    I lived in Windgap for four years and istr there was a part-time small coach service introduced, a couple of times a week, for exactly this kind of thing. Whether it's still on the go, I don't know. I think a lot of subsidies for that kind of thing were withdrawn.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Phone the Windgap post office and they'll be able to tell you for sure - mine of information, it is. I see it's not listed in the white pages, possibly because it's a sub-post office, but a search brought up this number...
    051-648201

Make sure you phone that post office before one or two o clock in the day. Yer man doesnt exactly do long hours;)

titsmahgee wrote: »
    Make sure you phone that post office before one or two o clock in the day. Yer man doesnt exactly do long hours;)
    Is it still auld Sean running it? He was always a bit relaxed about that. At one point his daughter and husband took it over and transformed the place, even daring to switch the lights on :)

• Advertisement

tis one of the sons in it now,jesus cant think of his first name for the life of me. ha you'd be hardpressed to get chocolate, or even a bag of spuds:rolleyes:

It's a pity. That place could have been a wee goldmine if it was ever run right. It showed signs of taking off when the daughter had it, but Sean came back and turned the lights off again. :) It hasn't had any real competition for years - the other wee shop along the street went titsup and Guinan's shop never seemed to be busy at all.
    The PO counter dragged folk in and if the stock had been decent, they'd have bought other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭F1fan

Thanks everyone for your help. We have decided against the house in Windgap, partly because of the transport issue and partly because it was a bit remote, not in the village. Back to the drawing board....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

F1fan wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your help. We have decided against the house in Windgap, partly because of the transport issue and partly because it was a bit remote, not in the village. Back to the drawing board....

For what its worth there should be alot more houses to rent/buy in Callan, transport option are better and you'll also have better access to shops etc.

Might be worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭F1fan

Thanks Cabaal - been working in KK for 3 years and communting from Offaly, can't face it again when I go back in March so we are hoping to rent for a while then buy. Think at this stage I am concentrating on the city, so if anyone knows of a nice four-bed to rent let me know please!

• Advertisement
Advertisement