Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canine friends

Options
  • 28-01-2011 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Had a few hours to spare on Wednesday so I decided to go for a spin. Had a new route picked (50km) so I decided to give it a go, weather been good. What started off as a good workout soon changed. I got chased by 8 dogs , one was a bloody Rottweiler who scared the sh1t out of me, consequently this resulted in some " interval work " which wasn't planned, sprinting for my life!! It got to the stage that I was expecting a dog to bolt out of every driveway I passed. Anyway got home in one piece but pretty annoyed.
    Has anybody else ever had similar experiences
    I know I was on quiet roads but that many dogs!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 falladeen

Go back in your car with a shotgun and 8 cartridges !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Dogs just dont like bikes, blame the post men that give them a sly kick in the morning :P

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Would worry too much about it, a rottie chasing you isnt so bad. The dopey lazy feckers if they make that much effort to come outta there own space, they are still playful, a good roar should be enough to make you Alpha male.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

was out in a group cycle about a week and a half ago, chased by an enormous dog, was hilarious, we all scattered!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

A squirt of the water bottle on the snout usually sends the madra home. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I have been chased by blorg impersonating a dog. Leitrim is the worst county for loose dogs, I still have nightmares!

The small ones have the biggest potential for an accident,they seem to have more to prove and go straight for the wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Where was your route - so I can avoid the fcukers!

I remember being chased by dogs all the the time when I was a kid on the bike, but it rarely happens any more, around Dublin anyway. People have more control over their dogs these days I guess.

There's nothing like that adrenaline rush half way up a hill to have you out of the saddle and pushing the big ring all of a sudden! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Just carry on, 99% of the time they won't bite you or your bike. If you feel you're in a dangerous position just stop and get off the bike.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RoubX

Get a lot of Border Collies and Jack Russells out my way, fast buggers, and make you feel like they're about to get tangled in front of you.

Friend of mine got me a dog dazer for Christmas once. It's the size of a brick so it gets left at home. Anyone know of a mini version?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Diary Day

They scare the bejaysus out of me too. But has anyone ever heard of a dog successfully attacking a cyclist?
    50km you cycle a lot more than me as I assume you had to go back 50kms too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

RoubX wrote: »
    Friend of mine got me a dog dazer for Christmas once. It's the size of a brick so it gets left at home. Anyone know of a mini version?

An extended pump-across-the-chops might be a handier alternative!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Geese are much worse than dogs and they don't care about being squirted with water!

Goose is not my favorite but I eat it at every opportunity based on the principle of "The more you eat, the less you meet"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

The French figured this one out long ago

Velo-Dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

You can't beat the old fashioned Zefal pump. Even if you do bend it you have the satisfaction of knowing you won.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 shaycl

Diary Day wrote: »
    They scare the bejaysus out of me too. But has anyone ever heard of a dog successfully attacking a cyclist?
    50km you cycle a lot more than me as I assume you had to go back 50kms too!!

No, the 50 km was a round trip. I always try to do a loop. Lots of places to cycle where i'm from (mullingar). Don't think i'll be taking that one anytime soon, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

my biggest concern, is the b**tards rush at you so fast - out of nowhere, you tend to swap away from them, which could be disastrous at the wrong moment.
    but it don't have get the adrenaline going!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

Was cycling a country road in north county dublin last year and could see 3 dogs in a garden. thought no problem gates closed then the little feckers ran out through the hedge. 2 of them legged it back when i stopped and roared. 3rd decided to stay and chase me again as i cycled off. thankfully there was no 1 around because i got off the bike and started running at the dog screaming death threats in very unpleasent language and at that point he ran back into his mates. Dogs arent as hard as theyd like to think they are

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Diary Day wrote: »
    But has anyone ever heard of a dog successfully attacking a cyclist?

This chap wasn't too happy about a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

Don't mind too much being chased they usually just want to run you of. I feel you're safe enough once level with them . I'd be more worried when they intially run out that I'd run staight into them. People really shouldn't let their dogs run loose though.

I have one near me I've had a few close calls with in the car but luckliy the one time he was out when I went by on the bike there was a car coming the other direction he was occupied with before he noticed me. Debating if its worth saying anthing to the owner or the gardai probably not though unless he knocks someoff or gets clipped by a car which could be a more permenant resolution.

Was nearly taken out last year at Triathlone by cyclist I was passing swerving to avoid a dog that ran out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement