Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Netopia Router & NetGear wgr614 v6

Options
  • 28-01-2011 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Ok so im trying to get my Eircom broadband router working with my netgear wireless modem router - now i know both of them are routers but i want the eircom router to function still as the only router and the gateway - but i want the netgear to function as the firewall as it has one inbuilt that can block websites and services and allow VPN tunneling etc... - has anybody done this before or have any idea how because i cant get anywere - so far ive got them both on the network - with the netgear setup too block websites but users still can gain access to all websites. hope ive explained all this well so you can get an idea what im on about.

Cheers,

Robert.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

What you want is the Netopia to function only as a modem and the Netgear to be the router and gateway for you lan.

I've not set up a Netopia but I'm sure many on here have.

The Netgear needs to be the DHCP server. The Netopia just the connection between the Netgear and the outside world.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

FSL wrote: »
    What you want is the Netopia to function only as a modem and the Netgear to be the router and gateway for you lan.

I've not set up a Netopia but I'm sure many on here have.

The Netgear needs to be the DHCP server. The Netopia just the connection between the Netgear and the outside world.

Yep thats kind of what i mean - i have a server based network, which runs AD,DHCP,DNS etc... currently my eircom netopia router is serving as the gateway & Modem - set up with eircom's settings - dont forget the netgear is a cable modem router - and eircoms is an adsl connection (phone Line) - basically i want the netgear serving as the gateway and firewall, as netgears firewall can block sites and services ect... and then have eircom's netopia router as the modem serving as the bridge between the network and the internet if you get me.

To achieve that you need the WAN port on the Netgear connected to the LAN port on the Netopia and the LAN port on the Netgear connected to your switch.

If the Netgear cannot be in the same location as the Netopia and still be within wireless range of the laptops then you would need to use two of your network points. One connected to A LAN port on the Netgear the other end of which is connected to the switch. The other connected to the WAN port on the Netgear with the other end connected to the LAN port on the Netopia instead of being connected to the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

To achieve that you need the WAN port on the Netgear connected to the LAN port on the Netopia and the LAN port on the Netgear connected to your switch.

If the Netgear cannot be in the same location as the Netopia and still be within wireless range of the laptops then you would need to use two of your network points. One connected to A LAN port on the Netgear the other end of which is connected to the switch. The other connected to the WAN port on the Netgear with the other end connected to the LAN port on the Netopia instead of being connected to the switch.

currently i have the netopia connected via lan port to the netgear then i have the netgear connected to the switch via LAN also - when i tried what you suggested above, connecting the WAN port on the netgear to the LAN port on the netopia i lost internet connectivity the netopia was not accesable atal! - is there a software config you have to do?

I don't have a Netopia but i do have a WGR614 it's connected to a fixed wireless broadband supply.

You could try the following:-

With the Netgear, on the LAN set up, set the IP address to an address in the range your DHCP server uses and reserve that address on the DHCP server so it does not hand it out to another device.

Set DHCP off on the Netgear.

If that doesn't work you could try adding this:-

On the basic settings on the Netgear set the internet address to use a static IP address. Set that address to the address of the LAN port on the Netopia. And set the gateway to the same address as that shown as the gateway on the Netopia.

• Advertisement

Addition to last post.

Also set the gateway on the DHCP server to the address assigned to the Netgear.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

Addition to last post.

Also set the gateway on the DHCP server to the address assigned to the Netgear.

Quick question to an old thread. I set my wireless network as you suggested (thanks for the advice BTW)
    DSL--->NETOPIA---->NETGEAR

In the basic settings of the netgear router, I set a static IP for the netgear gateway of
    Static IP: 192.168.1.1
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.254 (Netopia router)

Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1
    Secondary DNS: 192.168.2.1

Ensure the DHCP server is enabled on the Netgear (and not Netopia) and the IP address for the DHCP server matches the static IP you set previously.

Only issue is I want to access the config page of the netgear router but it doesn't appear on 192.168.1.1 and only the netopia config page is accessible 192.168.1.254.

Any suggestions on how to get access to the netgear config page? Should I set the static IP to 192.168.0.1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

have you heard about Netopia running in bridge mode !??
    that should fix ALL your problems here...

rolion wrote: »
    have you heard about Netopia running in bridge mode !??
    that should fix ALL your problems here...

No, once you put Netopia into bridging mode, internet connection is lost, you cannot access the config page of it and end up having to reset the router.

If you can show how to set this up (what other settings need to be added) apart from enabling Bridging mode on the netopia router, I will try it otherwise I will continue with my current setup which works by the way! I have wireless internet connection just need to be able to get access to the netgear config page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

This is how you configure the netopia in bridging mode:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60891130&postcount=12

and once that is done, you need to initiate the PPPoE connection from the netgear

• Advertisement

Dardania wrote: »
    This is how you configure the netopia in bridging mode:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60891130&postcount=12

and once that is done, you need to initiate the PPPoE connection from the netgear

I have set it up on the netopia as suggested.

To set up the PPPoE on netgear, I cannot see that option, where is it? Also, do you connect the cable on the netopia to the DSL port of the netgear or normal LAN Ports?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Advertisement