Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob training

Options
  • 27-01-2011 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Okay so the only experience I have is with building computers but no experience in programming or software development. I am signed up to an android developer course in Fitzwilliam institute and while I know this course is not going to get me a job, I do hope it will help me build some apps that I have in my mind, some of which may be more difficult than I first thought. So the reason I am posting this is, can a person who has no software building skills who is starting a home course on android, be successful at creating good applications and not wasting my money doing this course http://www.fitzwilliaminstitute.ie/android_programming_course_distance_learning.php, please be honest. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Personally, I do not think learning Android development is the best start to learning programming. You would be better off doing an introductory programming course first (disclaimer: I am not a programmer, but I do work in a third level college and teach computer subjects, though not programming).

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Personally, I do not think learning Android development is the best start to learning programming. You would be better off doing an introductory programming course first (disclaimer: I am not a programmer, but I do work in a third level college and teach computer subjects, though not programming).

I am a programmer myself and I would agree with Tom on this. It would be a good idea to have a handle on basic programming concepts before starting into Android development. A Java course would be you best choice since Android is based on Java.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'd agree with the two above. From a quick glance at the link it looks like it's aimed at people who are already moderately experienced Java developers. Without a good grounding in the basics, the topics and info covered will be pretty useless.

It would be like trying to learn how to do german language legal negotiations with a course taught in german, but without you knowing how to speak any german.

edit: actually I read a little more, I'd assumed that it was one of those 1 or 2 week courses specifically in android development, but it seems to run for 14 weeks to a year, and they don't list previous experience as a requirement, so they may cater for learning programming from scratch. You should probably get in touch with them and ask about it.

Advertisement