Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1982 hymer 660 S parts needed . . . any scrap yards?

Options
  • 27-01-2011 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello everyone at boards!

We are fixing and renovating a 1982 Mercedes Hymermobil 660 S. (A-Class, LHD, manual, diesel.) Can’t wait to take her to France! She will soon be M.O.T’ed and on the road but we still have work to do. Getting items and parts is difficult and expensive.
    Does anyone know of a breakers yard/ scrap yard where I could get the ‘domestic / living quarters’ items? We have tried many places locally in Co Down, N Ireland but we could travel anywhere in Ireland or to Britain, France / Germany in the vehicle, if it would be a worthwhile trip. Then we could fit the items straight away and not have the problem of the wrong parts being shipped over. There must be some big breakers yards in Europe, right?
    Some items we still need include; Hot water boiler (Truma system), Thetford Aqua Magic GL toilet, Windows, Toilet holding-tank emptying hose kit, gas rams for pull-down bed in cab area, 1982 Hymer 660 S handbook.
    Other things we would love to install -
    Original cupboard doors, central skylight, Bike rack, TV and TV sat. system, Stabilisers, Reversing Camera.
    All information - especially your personal experience will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you very much. heather

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Best of luck . Your best bid might be to look for damaged caravans?

You'll probably have to modify either the parts or the camper , getting the old stuff is damn near impossible .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 barncat

Hi Aidan - Thanks for the reply.
    Yes, you are so right - it has been frustratingly difficult to source the bits and pieces. I have been trying caravan breakers online and in Downpatrick and Banbridge, Co Down. No luck yet.
    But I just LOVE this old gal - never thought I would fall in love with a campervan! This is my mid-life meander off the tracks. So - we are doing all in our power (budget) to get her back on the road, and if that means a lot of duct tape round the windows for a while - well, we will just have to grow thicker skin! :-)
    I am hoping that somebody out there knows of an old Merc.1980's Hymer 660 that the owner just can't bear to scrap - we will give it a very loving home!
    heather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 polly48

Hi my husband and i purchased a hymer 87 motor home with a fiat ducato chassis2.5 or 2.8 engine in oct 10. log book says 2.8 and original documents say 2.5 so i am confused to say the least. my prob now is that the gearbox got stuck and when it was opened 4th and 5 gear were damaged and a pin was broken, i am looking everywhere for a replacement but 1 place quoted me 1400 euro, which i dont have at this stage as i spent money doing her up inside. I am so depressed as we looked forward to taking her to france this year, didnt even get her on the road for a weekend. i just want to cry ...... but to answer your question Donaghys camper sales and repairs should have most of what you need they are in donegal you will find them on the net. happy camping....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

It's a 2.5, the 2.8 didn't come in til around '98 . I've a s/h gearbox for one at home..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 polly48

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    It's a 2.5, the 2.8 didn't come in til around '98 . I've a s/h gearbox for one at home..
    Hi Aidan,I bought a second hand gearbox last week but it was 1990 ish, unfortunatlely the bell housing is slightly different and wont fit in our camper. So, i had a bright idea, i gave them to a mechanic to see if he can take the gears and stuff out of the 90s one and put them in my 87 one, i am not holding out much hope ....If you have one that will do how much would you be looking for and if it did not work would you be willing to take it back, as i could nearly build a monument of gearboxs at the moment, i have a beautifull camper and a box of gear parts.... yours in gratitude polly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

barncat wrote: »
    Hello everyone at boards!

We are fixing and renovating a 1982 Mercedes Hymermobil 660 S. (A-Class, LHD, manual, diesel.) Can’t wait to take her to France! She will soon be M.O.T’ed and on the road but we still have work to do. Getting items and parts is difficult and expensive.
    Does anyone know of a breakers yard/ scrap yard where I could get the ‘domestic / living quarters’ items? We have tried many places locally in Co Down, N Ireland but we could travel anywhere in Ireland or to Britain, France / Germany in the vehicle, if it would be a worthwhile trip. Then we could fit the items straight away and not have the problem of the wrong parts being shipped over. There must be some big breakers yards in Europe, right?
    Some items we still need include; Hot water boiler (Truma system), Thetford Aqua Magic GL toilet, Windows, Toilet holding-tank emptying hose kit, gas rams for pull-down bed in cab area, 1982 Hymer 660 S handbook.
    Other things we would love to install -
    Original cupboard doors, central skylight, Bike rack, TV and TV sat. system, Stabilisers, Reversing Camera.
    All information - especially your personal experience will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you very much. heather

Why not take a trip down to Hymer Bad Walsee where in their service department you willbe able to get most parts required. If you have to stay overnight they have a number of spaces with electrical hook up's at no charge.

Advertisement