Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to the UK - kids+lots of stuff

Options
  • 27-01-2011 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi there,

We'll be moving over to the UK in a month's time. We've got children, so there will be quite a few things that we have to take with us that won't fit in the car. Can anyone recommend a removal company - IRL or British?

Or, perhaps someone has figured out a smart way of moving with children (2x under 3).

We even thought of renting a small cargo trailer here and drop it off in the UK, but that doesn't seem to work money-wise.

Any clues welcome, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Where abouts are you based?

Options include someone who is going to the UK empty.

Or to use a pallet freight forwarder, otherwise you are into big money.

I know of someone who does Cork to Essex on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

We used a company based in Carlow who were going over with an empty truck but I won't name them because a friend of mine used them on my recommendation and had a nightmare with them, despite us having a very pleasant time of it with them.

You could try some of the England based moving companies. See if they will have any vans going back empty from Ireland. Pickfords is one such company. You could try calling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭chursy

Hi

I am planning a move from Dublin to UK and was wondering what are the best options in terms get getting the stuff over to UK. Initially i was planning to simply hire a VAN and take a ferry across however the costs of the return journey alone on ferry is approx 500 euros! leave alone the rental , petrol etc.

So was wondering what other alternatives do i have any suggestions? Looking for a cheap alternative.

I donot have furniture/beds or huge stuff that i need to take. However do have a baby and hence would have baby stuff to take. Major appliances include only a Tele and chest freezer , however i am not too fussed as i can get rid of them if needed to be.

Any how if you can fire away your suggestions, would be gratful!

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Count Duckula

I fear that you're going to have to splash out whichever option you choose. Moving countries, especially when those countries are on separate islands, is a major effort.

I intend to move to Ireland later this year or early next yet, and I'm well-aware it'll probably cost me in the region of £2,000 once I've factored everything in!

• Advertisement
Advertisement