Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good Psychological horror

Options
  • 27-01-2011 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Can anyone reccommend a good psychological horror book? Been ages since I read one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

American Psycho prehaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Val McDermid's books are psychological thrillers - not sure what exactly the criteria for horrors are, but there's plenty of nasty moments in the books! They're very dark, the series Wire in the Blood is based on her work, haven't seen it, but it sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

Anything by Peter Straub is a good bet. There is always some kind of psychological element to his stories and you always come away from his works with something to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    American Psycho prehaps?
    It's prob a fine line, but American Psycho is a psycological thriller and not a horror imo.
    It's all pretty much from the killer's point of view, so the uncertainty (or what ever you want to call it0 that makes horrors scary isn't there.

That said, its one of my top 5 books of all time and I'd read it anyway and look for a horror next time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

For Horror you could try James herbert or Brian lumley.Some of their stuff is well worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭booksale

dont really know this one suits you or not, but i found it a great book:

Patrick Suskind's Perfume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭mountain

Try "let the right one on" by John Ajvide Lindqvist.

It is a good thriller, with unexpected twists, [hopefully you dont know what it is about]

mountain wrote: »
    Try "let the right one on" by John Ajvide Lindqvist.

It is a good thriller, with unexpected twists, [hopefully you dont know what it is about]

I read that recently and was really disgusted by parts of it. Nothing to do with the standard horror aspect, it was the paedophilia references in it - found them horrific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

booksale wrote: »
    dont really know this one suits you or not, but i found it a great book:

Patrick Suskind's Perfume.

Amazing book!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Have you read any Karin Slaughter books? very dark, her first one Blindsighted is fantastic, couldnt put it down and its the same characters in the first few books,would really recommend her, start at Blindsighted. not a horror but dark and disturbing from start to finish

• Advertisement

Karin Slaughter is really excellent, would agree with pookiesboo. Dark and gripping, scary stuff about rural America and drugs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Turn of the Screw by Henry James. It probably terrified 19th century readers but all it did to me was leave me a little bit confused.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

pookiesboo wrote: »
    Have you read any Karin Slaughter books? very dark, her first one Blindsighted is fantastic, couldnt put it down and its the same characters in the first few books,would really recommend her, start at Blindsighted. not a horror but dark and disturbing from start to finish

I'm not a fan. I've given 3 or 4 of them a go now, but I think they're very average books with a little gratuitous gore thrown in to try and make them a bit different from all the other detective books out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Eoin wrote: »
    I'm not a fan. I've given 3 or 4 of them a go now, but I think they're very average books with a little gratuitous gore thrown in to try and make them a bit different from all the other detective books out there.

Different strokes for different folks!!:rolleyes:

Advertisement