Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

early pregnancy scan

Options
  • 27-01-2011 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Im wondering if anyone can help or give me some hope. I am 6 weeks 3 days pregnant and went for an early scan this morning, as its so early i had to have a trans vaginal ultra sound. While the baby was normal in size the consultant was concerned as the baby's heart rate was only measuring 70 bpm and she felt it should have been closer to 140 bpm. Has anyone experienced this and gone on to have a normal healthy pregnancy? she more or less said that there was now a 50/ 50 chance of survival. Really upset about this as its our first baby and we were really excited. WOuld love to hear either way of anyone else experienced anything similar .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

At that gestation (assuming you are certain of dates), baby's heart will only just have started beating in the last couple of days, so slow heartbeat is normal. My doc says seeing any heartbeat under 7 weeks is a good sign. With my second pregnancy, I had a scan at 6+2 and a heartbeat of 85 was seen. After an easy pregnancy, my girl was born at 39+6 and is now 11 months old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I know it is easier said than done, but try to relax and not to worry. It's important to keep positive and stress-free (as much as is possible).

I hope everything will be alright for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭paper cut

Thanks for the replies. I thought i was a week on actually but the doc was sure that the measurements added up to 6 weeks 3 days. You gave me a bit of hope with your story Silja. Its so hard to stay positive , really going ot try but cant stop getting upset. The doc said the baby heart rate should be about 140 so 70 seems miles away from that. I did have a mis carriage about a year and a half ago but it was more a missed miss carriage not heart beat was detected at all at the scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Hi Papercut,
    They say if you can get a heartbeat in an early scan, that it's a really good sign, so try not to worry. I had a scan at 7+3 and got a heartbeat, but they never told me how fast it was or anything and I'm now 28 weeks.
    As hard as it is, try to relax and to be honest, my lad has been measured along the way, anything from a week under to a week over at various stages. If they click a mm out on the crown, tail etc, the measurements and dates can change.
    Good luck with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sarahmarie90

Im slightly worried just been diagnosed 3 days ago with pcos and got a blood test and on same day results were back doctor called to say he was shocked it showed I was pregnant. And he wants an Early pregnancy scan. Should I be worried? Took a pee clear blue and it said 3 plus weeks so im definitely pregnant but having a scan this early is worrying me can anyone help thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

3+ weeks on a clearblue means you're actually closer to 6 weeks. If you're unsure of your dates then an early scan can be great reassurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marysnow

Hi saramarie, try not to worry. Given what you say about your history it is possible that your doctor simply wants to ensure that the pregnancy is not ectopic and that everything is in the right place. Good sign that the commercial test was positive too. (I had the same experience)

Papercut, very best of luck! They never mentioned to us heart rate, so I cannot help, but I wish you the best!

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Im slightly worried just been diagnosed 3 days ago with pcos and got a blood test and on same day results were back doctor called to say he was shocked it showed I was pregnant. And he wants an Early pregnancy scan. Should I be worried? Took a pee clear blue and it said 3 plus weeks so im definitely pregnant but having a scan this early is worrying me can anyone help thanks

Don't worry about the scan. I had a transvaginal (basically dildo cam!) at 6+4 and it was nothing to worry about, painless and simple and not at all anything to stress about.

Congratulations by the way! :)

Thanks everyone. Means alot the replys iv got just have to b patient till I get the call for the scan. Xx

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Anne2014

I'm hoping to have a scan at 8 weeks, will it be a transvaginal or trans abdominal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Anne2014 wrote: »
    I'm hoping to have a scan at 8 weeks, will it be a transvaginal or trans abdominal?

Go with a full bladder and they should be able to see what they need abdominally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I know I was told both times that before 10 weeks it would be vaginal scan and after would be tummy scan. You could go with full blader they may do it if not they'll get you to go toilet then do the other

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I had another scan at 9+3 and it was also transvaginal.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Anne2014

Thanks for your replies, I suppose it doesn't matter what way they do it I just want to have an idea what to expect as it's all new to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Anne2014 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies, I suppose it doesn't matter what way they do it I just want to have an idea what to expect as it's all new to me!

Interesting that others had different experiences - I had weekly scans in the fetal assessment unit in holles st from 5 weeks and weeks 5, 6 and 7 were tv but we were able to change to abdominal from 8 weeks on. It probably depends on the place, the sonographer and the machine!

Anyway the tv scan is nothing to worry about and as you said, it's good to be mentally prepared. Best of luck!

Does anyone know how accurate an early pregnancy scan is at dating the baby as its 2 days out b4 me n partner did it for first time. But I didn't sleep with anyone else. X

You could have ovulated a day or two later/earlier. I'd be worried if it was a few weeks but not a few days. I got a date 4 days off my own calculations when I had my scan and I definitely hadn't slept with anyone other than my partner.

Thanks January its just put a strain on our relationship but as I thought 2 days nothing is a hundred percent certain. N iv nit had a period in 2 yrs so it can't be calculated through that. But im happy healthy 10 weeks my wee miracle baby thanks for all yr advice xx

Google it and show him a few links if he's a bit put out by it. Men :rolleyes: :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thanks January its just put a strain on our relationship but as I thought 2 days nothing is a hundred percent certain. N iv nit had a period in 2 yrs so it can't be calculated through that. But im happy healthy 10 weeks my wee miracle baby thanks for all yr advice xx

Can you please use full words to make your posts easier to understand.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Sperm can survive up to 5 days, you can ovulate anytime up to 48 hrs after a positive OPK, and scans cannot claim to be exactly accurate to the day.

I got ovulation pains on a Sunday, got follicle scanning done on Wednesday and injected to trigger ovulation which ensures ovulation approximately 36 hours after the injection but it was anytime between 9.30am Thursday and 9.30pm on Friday that ovulation might have occured.
    That was precise because of fertilty treatment and constant medical monitoring.

What if you go two weeks overdue? Will you have to have another argument with him? Tell him to STFU and get a dna test when the baby is born.

Advertisement