Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying new PC...tips/advice...?

Options
  • 27-01-2011 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Howdy boarders!

Firstly a BIG apology if this ends up being a double/quadruple/5,783,229'th post on this...I've looked through and couldn't find much by way of similarity.

I am looking for a new PC - I do have a screen and keyboard/mouse although maybe a wireless option on these might be nice. Anyways. Technically just need tower - but not sure which direction to go on both the product and where to get it. I'm not a techie but I'm not entirely a simpleton...any advice, tips, pointers, ideas etc would be very gratefully received!

Ta muchly...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Whats the pc going to be used for?

Unless you've any unusual requirements, a mid range priced PC from dell can't send you too far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭da wiseguy

ahhh yes - that might have been helpful...!

general home use really - my current pc is probably a good 8 years old and has been struggling for a while so time to send it to the motherboard in the sky.

i dj so do alot of downloading and uploading, use some dj software, burn loads of cd's etc. i use photoshop regularly enough etc etc nothing major going on program wise...lots of internet usage more than anything else really!

i do have an external HD for my music and pictures, so no problems with storage on that front...

thanks for the tip re dell - someone else just suggested this to me so it's a good bit of advice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

If your PC is 8 years old, i can only assume so is your monitor, keyboard and mouse!

I'd sugest taking a monitor anyway, a decent flat screen will make using your pc a lot nicer!

Here's a decent spec PC for €550, there are cheaper options if its over budget.

Someone else here might have something to add though!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭smjpl

http://www4.hardwareversand.de/home.jsp
    Check out this site.Its a German website. You can build your own PC in the PC configurator option(Top Toolbar). Its relatively cheap for a decent PC. You are going to spend at least E600 though but that is all inclusive (Flat screen, mouse/keyboard and operating system). Its not Dell cheap but you are going to get a better PC with better parts. [Gone Drinking] Dell advert above isn't too bad but the graphics card is crap. Sound card is probably isn't the best either and I am thinking you kinda want a decent one for editing. They would do if your not really too bothered. My philosophy is buy a decent PC you upgrade as time goes buy instead of buying generic PC's every couple of years. Also check out the PC's on adverts.ie. Thats where I got mine. Some decent PC's there for relatively cheap.
    Anyways. Happy PC hunting.

Advertisement