Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats The Best CAD Software

Options
  • 26-01-2011 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I have just completed a course in CAD what's the best software on the market for a newbie?

Thanks

Pat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

it depends on what type of engineering you are doing and the type of modelling you are doing

if you are doing civil drawings mainly i would suggest auto cad

where as if you are using it to design parts and assembly's i would suggest . pro engineer or solid work's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

+1 SolidWorks Very Powerful 3D package, an expert in this is a joy to behold.
    +1 AutoCad Most Engineers would pick up the basics of this pretty quick for 2D, Useful in most industries, default in man
    -1 Pro Eng. Solid works is on the way up Pro Eng on the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

How is AutoCAD 3D regarded, im just starting it and it seems weak&awkward compared to Solidworks/inventor

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Different area tbh.

Solidworks is an 3D engineering program.

AutoCad is a 2D program, with some 3D capability. It's a stepping stone to Viz, then 3DS for architectural 3D work. Although, Revit is prob going to take market in control over the next few years. Would of been sooner if it wasn't for the GFC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Mellor wrote: »
    Revit is prob going to take market in control over the next few years. Would of been sooner if it wasn't for the GFC

The problem with Revit is that so many of the existing workforce have not training in it AutoCAD and it has been around for so long changed so little and is used by so many it will take a long time to shift over to Revit. (Having said that I think it will be hugely beneficial to learn how to use)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Which is why i said that the GFC slowed it down. The steer cost of training people up right now is too much.

The fact that they are both autodesk products, I would imagine that the transition would be easier coming from autocad regarding look and feel

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EdFallon

Revit is great and expensive if you can take the time to get used to all its features. A cheap alternative to try out is Bricscad. It reads AutoCAD files and their commands seem to be the same as AutoCAD but its only 10% of the price of AutoCAD full version. Its still cheaper than AutoCAD Lite and unlike Lite it has VBA built in for 3rd party apps. For me its a no brainer.

Advertisement