Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Mills

Options
  • 26-01-2011 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if you think Red Mills is a good brand of nuts for a dog?
    Or what should I avoid in the ingrediants & what should I look for?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Are you talking about Red Mills as in Star and Pet Complete, or do you mean Red Mills leader? The ordinary Red Mills is very low quality and mostly grain based with little meat. Leader is a bit better, its a medium quality food. To be honest, i would never use either as they are more cereal based than meat based and I found that I would have to feed almost double the amount of leader just to feed my guy (and he's already getting 600g of food!!)

There are a lot better foods out there, the main thing is that the first ingredient listed should be a named meat, and the second of third should be a meat as well. Stay away from anything with fresh meat or by-products as fresh meat is 80% water, and by-products are things like skin, feet etc. The main meat in the food should be listed as meat meal. Anything with 20% meat upwards is always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We feed Red Mills Leader Adult to our boxer and it seems fine. Used to use the more expensive Royal Canin but budget cut backs meant we had to go for something cheaper.

We supplement it with tinned food from Tesco and boiled chicken or sardines to bring the meat content up.

Plus it's Irish which helps.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I usually feed Red Mills Racer or Tracker out of season to my huskies, mixed with some Chudleys Kennel Crunch.

I know a few husky owners now that have switched to the Red Mills greyhound foods, mainly for economic reasons, but they're all happy with how the dogs are doing on it.

It has less VAT on it that other, non working dog foods, so is a bit cheaper. But, if your dog isn't getting a lot of exercise, don't put them on the Racer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

We feed our Irish setter red mills leader - she loves a bit of wet food mixed into it or sardines like somebody else suggested.
    We always get comments on her shiny coat and she's in perfect health every time she goes to the vet for boosters etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

I feed my Retriever/Labrodor X Red Mills Leader Puppy.
    She is happy eating it, in good health and has a lovely shiney coat.
    Occasionally we will put a bit of meat into it for her as a treat, but she will eat it no problem on its own.
    We did have some trouble getting her to eat dry food when we got her and tried a few different brands.....James well beloved, Royal Canine, Science Plan & Burns.

• Advertisement
Advertisement