Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design your own perfect ES vehicle

Options
  • 26-01-2011 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

decided to get a bit of discussion going...

i want you to tell us if you were put in charge of designing a brand new garda car/ ambulance / coast guard vehicle ( basically whichever service you are involved in) what essential pieces of kit would you make sure to include? things to make your job easier and to enhance the work you do??

(just let us know which vehicle you are designing so we dont get confused )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

A microwave and coffee maker:D
    Ambulance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

A two+ liter diesel engine and a trained driver up to advanced level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

an ideal for the new AGS patrol vehicle

ah-64d_2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Chief--- wrote: »
    A two+ liter diesel engine and a trained driver up to advanced level.

Was gonna say the same :)

dscd0818.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

0.jpg

A van that goes through gaps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

police1.jpg

In RHD. With high strength interior fabrics/plastics. A miniature pulse terminal/anpr on the dash and a separate cage in the back. Possibly with the plastic bucket seats in the back.

One can dream. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

Bull/ram bars (- not in so much of an offensive driving sense) - but i reckon the state could have $ by investing in bars protecting the radiator/engine from 'write off' impacts. (and more courses to train in offensive driving for when the need arises). Seriously proper reinforcements on the front of the cars will make a huge difference.

A decent size engine 2.0L plus with turbo etc... There are plenty of motors on the road which will give the average patrol car a run for its money...

More customised for police - i.e. room for gear, a cage/plexi glass between front and back for safety.

Wifi/touchscreen/ipad Computer in car? - wit C&C/Pulse info

Defibrilater kits(with garda training)/first aid/fire extinguishers/Crime Scene gear - tape etc!

leather seats for those 'sh**ty prisoners'

Proper lighting and sirens/run lock features etc...

ANPR/Speed camera fitted

And for the perfect ES - Thermal imaging camera which can be used to sweep areas for heat - like the helicopter has... - pricey i know but it is fantasy

Would I be right in saying that most (all?) Garda cars aren't equipped with a spotlight, either?

Pleny of little alley ways and such around Irish towns. You'd think they'd have that, at least.

(Not involved with any emergency service)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Would I be right in saying that most (all?) Garda cars aren't equipped with a spotlight, either?

Pleny of little alley ways and such around Irish towns. You'd think they'd have that, at least.

some do, some dont

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

WilcoOut wrote: »
    some do, some dont

Some will have lightbars with integrated 'alley lights', some won't, some girls need a little lovin', some girls don't. I'll be at the bar with Dickie Rock and Red Hurley if you need me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Usually in the glovebox.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Ideal patrol car ? Nearly has to be a Skoda Superb TDI DSG. Plenty of space for kit in the back and plenty of back seat room if needs be. The likes of a Ford Focus just isn't designed for a copper with a vest and belt and an awkward prisoner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Decent trafic units. I feel sorry for some of the garda cars that pass as "traffic" units.

Skoda is the way to go. Anything would handle better than the Avensis. There is an Opel Vectra traffic car in my area which looks well.

More leds on the cars and a greater use of the battenburg design.

The RSU have the garda car we would all wish for.

Also having the ability to replace the decals after a door/wing is replaced. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭kirving

Locust wrote: »
    And for the perfect ES - Thermal imaging camera which can be used to sweep areas for heat - like the helicopter has... - pricey i know but it is fantasy

Very Pricey! Used a small handheld one in college(which was very precise in fairness) but it cost €6k!

How useful would a 15-20m telescopic pole which rose up out of the boot ares with a thermal camera mounted on top be for searching gardens, looking over walls, etc be? (I'm not a member of any ES) Might end up very unweildy though, if it had to collapse down quite small for a patrol car.

If its fantasy and (if money were no object) id get a hand held one -
    For scanning fields/undergrowth, the amount of people that have gone off hiding in fields etc grrr. Thats why the military use them. http://www.gs.flir.com/products/soldiersolutions/recon.cfm

In a built up area the helicopter is just as good for gardens etc... Pole coming out of the back of the car wouldn't serve much purpose.
    They (governments around the world) already use a lot of satellites/drones, i suspect this tech will become more and more available to police in the future as it becomes more and more common. The technology is readily available!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Every patrol car operating at night should have a hand held thermal imager. Failing that, night vision goggles. I used them with the Task Force in cork back in the 90s. If they had them then why not now. They are as useful, and probably cost as much, as your average garda radio. Even second generation night vision sights are available in ALDI every so often for under €200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Powerful like a gorilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭kirving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

3076710693_ede06b4b8a.jpg?v=03077547964_4da66222fb.jpg

With tail lift, tea making facilities, and tv. I also like the ability to transform into someone to do all the lifting when required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

I want a Skoda Octavia RS 2.0l TSI 200bhp with a code 3 defender light bar, light and siren (with rumbler) controls built into dash. Laptop with pulse transmitting live over wireless satellite connection. Extra rear view and wing mirrors to allow the observer have a full view around the car. External spot lights controllable from inside the car. ANPR system built into dash board. LED lights behind the grille, in the front and rear bumper, on the wing mirrors, within the rear window break lights and in front of the rear view mirror.

Cage to separate the back seat from the front, vinyl seats and floor mats in the rear so it can be sprayed clean with a hose. Leg restraints built into the floor behind the front seats for violent prisoners.

I also want a dispatch system like some services have, control type the address into the computer, transmits to the car and brings up the location on a GPS. Local knowledge is good but you'll never know where everything is.

Front and rear bull bars for protection and for use in car stops, stinger in the boot and small light on the C pillar behind the passenger so he can read notes without lighting up the whole cockpit. Tape....loads of tape, a fire extinguisher and decent first aid kit. Oh and a latex glove dispenser in the glove box.

• Advertisement

and at least two cup holders!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

033_Braselton.jpg?1257189647

Carbon E7 specifically designed Police car, not just some regular retail car altered to suit police needs. Has everything and more that's been mentioned in this topic so far short of being an Apache AH64. Seriously nice looking piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

RMD wrote: »

Carbon E7 specifically designed Police car, not just some regular retail car altered to suit police needs. Has everything and more that's been mentioned in this topic so far short of being an Apache AH64. Seriously nice looking piece of kit.

I don't believe they have addressed the cupholder situation :pac:

:EDIT:

these guys really did think of everything!

Carbon-E7-11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

punchdrunk wrote: »
    I don't believe they have addressed the cupholder situation :pac:

:EDIT:

these guys really did think of everything!

Carbon-E7-11.jpg

I told ya :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

who u going to call ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

RMD wrote: »

Is this vehicle in service anywhere or is it just a cops ' wet dream ' at the moment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Delancey wrote: »
    Is this vehicle in service anywhere or is it just a cops ' wet dream ' at the moment ?

Still a "wet dream" as you put it. Apparently due for release in 2012.

Advertisement