Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Helmet

Options
  • 26-01-2011 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Going to spend about 80 Euro on a road helmet, any advice on the best brand, value etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Rallymad

Im also thinking about a helmet in this price range was looking at the GIRO MONZA anyone have this helmet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

got a giro saros a few weeks ago, roc loc 5 ,light comfortable fits my head

but then my last helmet was a giro exodus from 2000

but ive been wearing giro helmets since about 1995.

i like giro's

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Don't bother, helmets are a waste, sure they cause more crashes. And you look cooler without one.
    Unless you are going fast, or its dangerous.

(lights fuse and ducks for cover)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Helmets are a personal choice, it depends on the shape of your head and what you like the look of really. They all do the same thing!

Pick the lightest, sexiest one you can afford, that fits you without any discomfort (Giro helmets pinch the back of my head).

Try not to buy off the internet, if you aren't sure of your "brand" it's worth buying local, at least for the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

As above ; you`ll need to put em on and find what suits your head , so go somewhere with a good range of makes.

Personally i found all GIRO helmets uncomfortable

Bell helmets (esp Bell Sweep) light ,good security and fairly comfy -120e

but

I`ve found the KELLYS Rocket a sublime helmet, comfortable, light, secure, classy and only 90e. Not one of the bug brands but might be worth checking out!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,601 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

Try not to buy off the internet, if you aren't sure of your "brand" it's worth buying local, at least for the first one.

Agreed, but if you know what you want (and that it will fit and be comfortable), buying from certain UK retailers (Slane Cycles for example), may be quite a lot cheaper, as they apply UK VAT, and cycle helmets are zero-rated. Please note this does not apply to Wiggle and CRC, as they are required to apply Irish VAT on sales into Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Bought a Giro helmet off probikekit.com the other day. They are very cheap on Giros at the moment - next cheapest I found was Slane Cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Helmets are a personal choice, it depends on the shape of your head and what you like the look of really.

Ah, but they're not though. Not allowed on club spins or events like the W200 without one :(

In this weather especially a nice warm hat is much better use than a helmet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

Ah, but they're not though. Not allowed on club spins or events like the W200 without one :(

I think Dirk was referring to helmet fit and style as opposed the age old argument that is should they be worn or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I have a Bell and a Giro. The Bell was half the price of the Giro, and I prefer it. I'm too lazy to find out the model names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

D1gger wrote: »
    I think Dirk was referring to helmet fit and style as opposed the age old argument that is should they be worn or not.

Exactly. Like shoes or bib shorts, one person's recommendation may not apply to you.

I agree with Beasty, VAT exemptions in the UK do make for great savings ASSUMING you know what helmet works for you. I bought a Giro Ionos at a discounted price, unfortunately I didn't like the fit or the feel and ended up selling it on adverts.

I now wear a Bell Sweep, fits me much better. I'm a Bell man now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

red helmets are fastest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

...I'm a Bell man now.
    Welcome to the club

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

abcdggs wrote: »
    red helmets are fastest

i agree

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

i agree

I would have thought white would be faster, has anyone a link to some tests? White bikes are faster, obviously.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,601 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

poochiem wrote: »
    White bikes are faster, obviously.
    You have just blown away any excuse I had to upgrade to a faster colour:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Not only does the fit vary from one brand of helmet to another, but even within the same brand you might find that the fit varies from year to year. I bought a 2010 Catlike helmet last year and the same model in the same size, but the 2009 model, was too tight a fit. That was probably an anomaly, but it's another reason to shop local, and if buying online it is worth checking for the year of manufacture to see if it really matches what you already have or have already tried on.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Rallymad

Had a look at one of these today it was a great fit and looked the job bit more than i planned to spend but thats always the way .I would love to hear if anyone has one or what ye think of them?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=53675

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭airscotty

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47851

This is red and white making it the fastest around.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

airscotty wrote: »
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47851

This is red and white making it the fastest around.

The black and pink one would go nicely with the boards gear

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
Advertisement