Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth getting 3GS at this stage?

Options
  • 26-01-2011 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I have a budget of 300-350 for a new mobile and I saw i could buy a 3GS on Adverts for around that but I was wondering if it would be worth my while getting one at this stage(nearly 2 years after first announced)
    It seems a bit behind the times but I really want an iPhone and I can't find an iPhone 4 within my price range.

Any help?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Even though its not the latest model it's still an awesome little gadget, ive had my 3gs a year now and although im planning on buying an iphone 4 when my contract is up (june) I cannot fault it at all. It does nearly everything the 4 does. Same OS, same app store. The main differences, to the best of my knowledge, are the processor is a bit faster in the 4, slightly better battry and a flash.

So yeah imo it would be worth while getting a 3gs cause the 4 isnt gonna come down in price anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭seanob43

Thanks for the reply,when does everyone think the iPhone 4 will drop down to around 350?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Even though its not the latest model it's still an awesome little gadget, ive had my 3gs a year now and although im planning on buying an iphone 4 when my contract is up (june) I cannot fault it at all. It does nearly everything the 4 does. Same OS, same app store. The main differences, to the best of my knowledge, are the processor is a bit faster in the 4, slightly better battry and a flash.

So yeah imo it would be worth while getting a 3gs cause the 4 isnt gonna come down in price anytime soon

If you're contract is up in june you may as well wait for the iphone 5. And the differences are the 4 is it's a lot faster, better camera/battery/flash, much much better screen.

OP, I would say not to go for the 3GS. I have one, it;s great, I prefer the form factor to the iPhone 4, the only thing that makes me consider the iphone 4 is the retina display which is very sharp by comparison.

The reason I say wait/increase the budget is, with the iphone 5 this summer will come iOS 5.0 - iOS 4.0 slowed the the 3GS a little and completely obliterated the 3G. The 3G didn't get a lot of the new features, some of them only tiny changes such as wallpaper etc.

So going on that basis, it is likely the iPhone 5 will have new features that are hardware specific and will run 5.0 nicely. The iPhone 4 will get most of 5.0's new features except for the hardware specific ones and maybe a couple of others. The iPhone 3gs will get (very) limited 5.0 features and will probably struggle to run the OS well.

While a lot of people give out that apple do this to force people to upgrade, I kinda agree with them. If they built their operating systems to run well on all previous hardware, they would be limited by their spec. By not supporting the older models they can add better features.
    seanob43 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply,when does everyone think the iPhone 4 will drop down to around 350?

Depends on the iphone 5 release (summerish). If its great the 4 price will drop as there will be more on the market. But if it's a bit 'meh' or if availability is low, the iphone 4 price may actually go up. This happened when the 3Gs was released and a lot of 3G owners kept them as they didnt think it was worth the upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 time4tea

Agreed 3GS is a great phone. I have one about 6 months and couldn't live without it now.
    Just try and get one on the latest firmware (4.2.1 ) if you can. It's a lot more responsive and easier on the battery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

with that amount you could get an iPhone 4.
    i get my iPhones from the states on eBay.

iPhone 8gb 3G for 130E

iPhone 3gs 16gb for 205e

iPhone 4 16gb for 260e plus shipping.

i just got the iphone, i havent paid for it yet, but will on monday.

I didn't pay import tax on the two iPhone's hopefully i wont on this one.

• Advertisement

with that amount you could get an iPhone 4.
    i get my iPhones from the states on eBay.

iPhone 8gb 3G for 130E

iPhone 3gs 16gb for 205e

iPhone 4 16gb for 260e plus shipping.

I didn't pay import tax on the two iPhone's hopefully i wont on this one.

That can't be for real.Mind giving us a link?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

260+ shipping for ab ip4?

I'll take 3 please!

Don't get excited.

This is the link for the iPhone 4. I might end up paying up to 300 because of tax but I'll avoid that in any possible way.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270697061954&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭James2693

Don't get excited.

This is the link for the iPhone 4. I might end up paying up to 300 because of tax but I'll avoid that in any possible way.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270697061954&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

He says in the description "shipping to US only" so I doubt you will get it tbh. You should if read the description.......

Edit: you said you have the phone bit you haven't paid for it? :/ never heard of an eBay seller doing that!

James2693 wrote: »
    He says in the description "shipping to US only" so I doubt you will get it tbh. You should if read the description........

I did read before bidding. Most buyers outside the states aren't prepared to pay for the hughe shipping fee and insurance.

I am.

If I'm not allowed to pay for this I would say it's because the seller got a low price for it. $325 compared to $425 the average price of an iPhone sold on eBay us.

But I'll br paying for this.

I just know this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

being honest here, the 3G S is creeping up on two years old. it's still an amazing phone but there are better out there.

the iphone 4 (from my experience and yes i had both iphone 4 and 3G S) has double the battery life a case example. with my iphone 4 i can charge it at night, it's 100% before i go to work, listen to music, 3g connection for an hour going to work, have wifi on all day, listen to music coming home and using 3g for an hour and not have to charge it until that night again and even when i do charge it it's at like 60%.

the same work day with the 3G S was a diaster, by 2pm it would be already down to 55% and would need a charge before going home and then a charge again at night.

this difference alone would be enough to skip the 3G S and go for a 4. The 4 has the best battery life out of all the current phones (i also have been using a desire and desire HD these past few months) and these phones are comparable to the 3G S in terms of battery.

also with the 4 you get, one of the thinnest phones on the market, there's been times i actually forget i'm carrying it, a seriously gorgeous screen, i thought jobs was being crazy when he gave the keynote on the 4, but seriously go look at the screen in the flesh, it is the best out there.

i know you said you can't afford a 4 but have you thought about a contract? seriously a smartphone on pay as you go is like a rottweiler with its balls chopped off, or buying a ferrari yet sticking a honda civic motor in it.

you have to be so careful that your data isn't eating into your credit and even if you are you'll end up spending 40-50 quid on credit like i was doing with the 3G S, not to mention the fact that if you want to check something on the go it will cost you .69c (although you get 50megs for that, you'll easily piss through that with mail/safari/youtube).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Eh? Some random eBay seller sent you an iPhone before receiving cleared payment?

being honest here, the 3G S is creeping up on two years old. it's still an amazing phone but there are better out there.

the iphone 4 (from my experience and yes i had both iphone 4 and 3G S) has double the battery life a case example. with my iphone 4 i can charge it at night, it's 100% before i go to work, listen to music, 3g connection for an hour going to work, have wifi on all day, listen to music coming home and using 3g for an hour and not have to charge it until that night again and even when i do charge it it's at like 60%.

the same work day with the 3G S was a diaster, by 2pm it would be already down to 55% and would need a charge before going home and then a charge again at night.

this difference alone would be enough to skip the 3G S and go for a 4. The 4 has the best battery life out of all the current phones (i also have been using a desire and desire HD these past few months) and these phones are comparable to the 3G S in terms of battery.

also with the 4 you get, one of the thinnest phones on the market, there's been times i actually forget i'm carrying it, a seriously gorgeous screen, i thought jobs was being crazy when he gave the keynote on the 4, but seriously go look at the screen in the flesh, it is the best out there.

i know you said you can't afford a 4 but have you thought about a contract? seriously a smartphone on pay as you go is like a rottweiler with its balls chopped off, or buying a ferrari yet sticking a honda civic motor in it.

you have to be so careful that your data isn't eating into your credit and even if you are you'll end up spending 40-50 quid on credit like i was doing with the 3G S, not to mention the fact that if you want to check something on the go it will cost you .69c (although you get 50megs for that, you'll easily piss through that with mail/safari/youtube).

Thought about Bill pay,not up for it,there must be a cheaper solution for Pay as you go?Does anyone here have one on pay as u go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Well I have an iPhone 4 on pay as you go and I tend to try and not browse while not on a free wifi network. It's 99c a day with O2 but since I have free texts and rarely call I always have plenty of credit incase I need to check something when I don't have a wifi hotspot.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Well I have an iPhone 4 on pay as you go and I tend to try and not browse while not on a free wifi network. It's 99c a day with O2 but since I have free texts and rarely call I always have plenty of credit incase I need to check something when I don't have a wifi hotspot.

While that's all well and good for yourself I still think it defeats the whole ethos of a smart phone, it's meant to be connected to the net at all times (except on flights of course). It's tge same when people say they only turn on 3g when they need it, it kind of goes against the whole point of an iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

While that's all well and good for yourself I still think it defeats the whole ethos of a smart phone, it's meant to be connected to the net at all times (except on flights of course). It's tge same when people say they only turn on 3g when they need it, it kind of goes against the whole point of an iphone.

I would have loved to get one on billpay but I didnt want to be tied down to a contract and most plans were starting at around 35 euro whereas I pay 20 euro a month and that will last me a good while since I have free texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I bought a 3GS around Xmas, i got it from the states on Ebay, mine is unlocked, jailbroken, has the latest firmware on it. I am so happy with it!! :D i never had a iphone or an android before i got one, so i think they are still worth buying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

<scratches head>Why would you get the iPhone 4 in june, why not wait for new one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

kjl wrote: »
    <scratches head>Why would you get the iPhone 4 in june, why not wait for new one?
    Possibly price (may not be anthonyk.is' reason, but is a reason). The iPhone4 will enter at the current price point of the 3GS. If the iPhone5 doesn't have anything major extra that you would need/use, then the iPhone4 would still be a very good deal, especially at the lower price.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

I've the 3gs on prepay too. I rarely have to use the 3g because I have wifi at home and in college. Suits me down to the ground really. If I am out and want to use 3g it cost 69 cent up to 50mb which is fine as I'd only use it to check something quickly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement