Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Book Fried- ANy hope?

Options
  • 26-01-2011 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭

I have a Mac Book that is barely two years old and a mate dropped beer on it while it was on and fried the mother board.

Is it worth selling for parts or would it cost a fortune to repair it, the computer store I went to said to throw it in the bin which I find hard to believe.

Anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

If it was switched on while this happened it is probably toast. The beer will cause a short between components on the motherboard. If that happens and you immediately switch off and remove the battery then you may have some hope of recovery.

If the logic board is toast then it's probably uneconomical to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

The problem with a spill - is you've no idea what components are affected, unless you can test them. It could be just the logic board, it could also be memory/disk/battery/etc.

You could get an estimate for a replacing the logicboard from one of the Apple repair places like CompuB, Mactivate, etc. I'd imagine including labour and parts you'd be well above the current value of the machine - but give someone a call to determine.

You may be able to flog the screen if you can find someone who needs one, but I doubt you'd have too many takers for other beer flavoured bits.

Probably a longshot, but you could try checking if your house insurance policy covers accidental damage.

- barry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

See http://www.glodark.com/spilt_liquid.htm

(This is "barn door" advice but maybe someone else will read it before they have an "accident".)

Liameter wrote: »
    See http://www.glodark.com/spilt_liquid.htm

(This is "barn door" advice but maybe someone else will read it before they have an "accident".)

Good advice, but the best I've seen is to quicky submerge the device in vodka. It will force the water out and alcohol is non conductive. Once it has had a good soak take it out and leave to dry, then replace the batteries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

I bet you heard that down the pub from someone who is familiar with alcohol? Unfortunately, alcohol is miscible in water and vodka contains water. I don't hold out much hope for this method but, if you must try it, use windscreen de-icer liquid. It's a much cheaper mix of alcohol and water than vodka!

• Advertisement

My bad. It was denatured alcohol (95% alcohol)

Drinking the vodka is a far better idea.

Some other suggestions:

http://www.catalogs.com/info/electronics/how-to-save-a-wet-cell-phone.html

Advertisement