Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angry cow to be put asleep?!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

adser53 wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/life-of-cow-that-went-on-rampage-hangs-in-balance-2011-01/?utm_source=facebook
    Anyone else see this?

Surely the calls for this cow to be pts are OTT? You'd swear it tried to injure those people as a malicious act of viciousness! There are no bad cows, just bad owners :D

If it was at the mart, is there not a good chance it was going on to be killed anyway?:confused: You'd think cows were never killed here.

Poor thing, how would you expect it to act? They should see the cows around here, they are wild, scare the life out of me.

Adser, you're funny:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Doubt it will be 'Put to Sleep' in the manner you are thinking of, like a gunshot or lethal injection, that would be a waste of a good animal. More likely it will be loaded in a trailer and brought straight to a meat processing factory, killed and put in the food chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

ISDW wrote: »
    If it was at the mart, is there not a good chance it was going on to be killed anyway?:confused: You'd think cows were never killed here. :D

Generally cows aren't taken to the mart to be sold as beef, I would imagine she wasn't "going to be killed anyway". Cows are usually sold on for milking not killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Oh don't get me wrong, I love me steaks and have no probs with killing cows, chickens etc for food. I found it funny that the article worded it in a way that made it seem the cow was a potential killer and needed to be pts for public safety! Thats what I thought was OTT, not the fact its may be made into burgers. I suppose its behaviour probably got it a temporary stay of execution :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The article doesn't give the breed.

Some of the Charlois can be loopers, pure mad.
    I suppose OP, get a facebook campaign going and we might even get Mary McAleese give a presidental pardon like they do in the States with a turkey. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

The male of the species can be loopers, but usually the cows are very docile. Unless of course something freaked her out and caused her to act like this which then can't be considered her fault and she shouldn't be put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

A cow is a large and awkward animal! It can freak out the same as any other prey animal and their way of defending themselves is to lash out. That's why no good vet will see a cow unless it is in a crush without good reason!

Farmers know to look out for these things and if she is took wild to be allowed become a dairy cow then she would be PTS as she would be a danger to the farmer and no farmer will want to risk their lives over a cow.

If she is a beef cow she is more likely to be a bit wilder as farmers often do not have as much contact with these cows as they would with Dairy breeds.

People think animals should all behave like robots and never do a thing wrong. But it is a living thing with thought processes. Humans can be idiots some times!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Maybe poor Sooky thought she could be an even bigger you tube hit than the bull in Ballinrobe:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it-gPAhFq1c

he gets 396,000 hits and she gets the bullet:eek:

Advertisement