Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Headlight problem

Options
  • 26-01-2011 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just have a quick question about a small headlamp problem, I noticed one of the headlamps (the one nearest the lhs of the car) not working so I changed the bulb. However it only works when I have the lights on at regular beam or high beam, it wont come on when using low beam? The light on the other side of the car comes on ok.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Sometimes low beam is actually a different bulb altogether. Are you sure it's the same bulb?
    Make and model of the car would also be helpful in diagnosing your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭gerarda

Sorry - its a 00 Toyota Picnic. Just wondering are the two bulbs in the enclosure connected in any way? ie- could one bulb stop the other from working?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

On allot of cars the high beam and low beam are on different circuts as such in the bulb so one could work and the other may not, I'd be double checking the new bulb to make sure it's not faulty. Cheapest way to do this would be to put the questionable bulb into the the other side and see if the problem follows, if it does then it's defnitly the new bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭gerarda

Turns out I replaced the bulb with a 'capless' bulb (whatever that is)? Sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,140 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thats the parking lights, pretty standard bulb for them:

501_new-01.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

OP I think you mismatched names.
    High beam, regular beam, low beam... What are they?

AFAIK there are

1. Side lights, which should be used mostly for parking purposes, if car is left in dark place on the road. You turn them on by turning the lights knob once.
    Just to mention in many EU countries driving with only side lights on is illegal. But in Ireland it seems to be the most popular lights people use while driving - why? who knows...

2. Dipped head lights - you turn them on by turning the knob by 2 clicks. They should be used for driving when it's dark, or visibility is limited.

3. Full beam head lights - they should be used only on dark roads when there's no other traffic which you could dazzle.

Sometimes cars are equipped with fog lighs, which should be only used during fog, and heavy rain or snow strongly limiting visibility.
    Unfortunately people in Ireland seem to turn them on in every weather for no reason. Which is even more stupid, as they don't give better visibility while normal driving at all, as they give light for only 10 - max 15 metres.

All these 4 kind of lights usually have separate bulbs.
    Sometimes in cheaper cars where H4 bulb are used, there's one bulb which does the job of dipped headlighs and full beam headlighs. But still there is need for separete bulb for side lights and fog lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

CiniO wrote: »
    Sometimes in cheaper cars where H4 bulb are used....
    Oi! H4s are also fitted in many older (definitely not cheaper :D) cars.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I've heard it all now, Bulb snobbery:D

Advertisement