Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor DTT reception?

Options
  • 26-01-2011 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

On Saturday I tried to see if I can get soarview as I have a good signal for TV3. The pic below is what i was receiving.
    picture.php?albumid=1559&pictureid=8589

I am not sure what type of UHF aerial I have and I'm not total sure what transmitter i was pointing to.
    It could be Mt Leinster or Suir Valley. I live in the south Tipperary area.
    Does anyone know what that pic above means? Is it noise in the cable or wrong aerial or is it a "weak" signal i.e I need a more powerful aerial.
    this is the aerial i am using..
    picture.php?albumid=1559&pictureid=8588
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

If you have analogue TV3 it's more than likely Mt. Leinster.
    Think most of south Tipp. is good for it apart maybe from Clonmel area.

It should be on UHF channel 26, which is group A. The UHF tv channels cover quite a bit of bandwidth, so aerials are 'grouped' (according to the transmissions to be received) in narrower sections of the band to improve gain & interference rejection.
    Saorview from Mt. L. is UHF channel 45, group B.

Your existing aerial (or whole installation) may not be up to receiving it (can't see your pics. btw).

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

Can you see the pics now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

Yep pics are there.
    can that philips decode the mpeg4 signal ?

good point,,, I just presumed it has as its a new TV.
    Here(.pdf ~1.5MB) is the data sheet and I cant see anything about MPEG4 on it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

That is not saorview for a start. Saorview requires an MPEG4 DVB-T tuner.

That TV is Analogue only.

The reason it is snowy is because it is analogue. If you want to get DTT you will need a suitable set top box.

• Advertisement

Thanks STB.
    One final question how good does the signal for TV3 have to be to get DTT, and even if the signal is good does that guarantee DTT. If mount L is group B and i am receiving a good signal on TV does that mean that my aerial is group B?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

That Tv3 picture is near perfect. DTT/Saorview is infinetly better quality - no snowy quality - crystal clear. I suggest you get a set top box. DTT will boot in to where you are if your analogue recption is anything to go by. The Saorview approved box is €99 - fairly dear. You can buy a HD combo box that does satellite and DTT in one box for €160/170 - they dont have the full saorview spec but will be fine for most peoples requirements.

All you have to do is connect either to your existing aerial. If you get a combo box you will obviously need the dish as well for the satellite side.

I just want to confirm what your aerial group is. Check the Frequency that you are watching Tv3on there from that picture (it should show it in the info/frequency list). Is it UHF 26 ? If it is then its Mount Leinster you are watching.

Only thing is that the DTT UHF frequency for Mt Leinster is 45....... a little out of the range of your Group A (but try a set top box before you buy a new aerial). It should be a Group B for DTT. You may get away with your existing aerial. Get the box try it.

General Aerial Guide for DTT from Main sites (does not include fill in transmitters)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=116205&stc=1&d=1275872247

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

If you have good analogue reception on that tv, I'd be happy with that for now.
    There's not much to gain from Saorview as it is now (3e?), wait a while & the price of stbs will come down (of course sat. systems for UK channels are another matter).

the recption for rte1&2 are not great but tv3 and tg4 are good. I have a FTA box but i'll get a combo box so that everything is on the same remote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

clansman wrote: »
    the recption for rte1&2 are not great but tv3 and tg4 are good. I

Mt Leinster I'll wager, 1 and 2 are on VHF and 3 and 4 UHF. That Aerial is not optiimised for VHF.

DTT is also on UHF so no change required there.

Combo should be plug and play in your case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Mt Leinster I'll wager, 1 and 2 are on VHF and 3 and 4 UHF. That Aerial is not optiimised for VHF.

DTT is also on UHF so no change required there.

Combo should be plug and play in your case.

Yep Mt. Leinster. You can see the bottom of the VHF aerial at the top of the photo. Also looks like a red end cap on the contract yagi, indicating group A.
    So Mt Leinster digital is out of group, but as previously stated, try it first and see.
    If you wait a few weeks the first fully-featured ,Saorview approved, combi boxes will be out. (Triax).

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

You say it's a new TV, how new is it because it should have Mpeg4 tuner. I know Watty on the forum should be able too advise you.

Advertisement