Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a Producer/Mixer for an ep ... serious enquiry here!

Options
  • 26-01-2011 3:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Ok,

My band are recording our next ep on the next month or so. We record everything ourselves, using Ableton Live.
    Now our last recordings were mixed as far as I could, but they were lacking ... sparkle! Fizz! That stuff.
    So ....... any guys out there looking to take up the task? I figured it'd be worth a shot to see who was out there in Ireland with a ton of skills. I'd be able to offer the finished demo song stems and whatever.
    (We're electronicy/shoegazey/atmospheric ..... but we'll deal with all that later!)

Thought it was worth throwing out there! In terms of influences - stuff like (current album) Horrors, Twin Shadow, Toro Y Moi, Ladytron....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Bluebirdstudios

Hi ,
    Putting my studio forward details can be seen on web www.bluebirdstudios.ie
    I'll send you a pm re request -to discuss details if interested.
    Many thanks,
    -Declan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Sounds interesting !

Do you have tracks up anywhere were one might hear how you guys sound ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 HeavyPop

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Sounds interesting !

Do you have tracks up anywhere were one might hear how you guys sound ?

Hey Paul -
    well, I figured I'd start with those influence reference points just to find the right person. It would really help if the person we find was on the same page as us. Our sound is pretty specific, and wouldn't be for everyone.
    I'm also hoping to see if anyone here has examples of their work first....?

Oh - and a bit of clarification. We've everything recorded already (or will have), so won't be looking for studio time or anything. It's simply a case of making this stuff more "radio-friendly", adding anything that would punch things out, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Good Idea .... in theory !

Part of making stuff 'Radio Friendly' is how it's recorded and how good the performances are - as well as the oft forgotten technical things like phase .... oh and the bugbear of every pro engineer I know - tuning !

I think you are going at it the right way insofar as it would be good to pick a mixer before recording starts and keep him or her in the loop across the recording process - there's an awful lot of stuff CAN'T be fixed in the mix.

I think you ought let people hear what you're at now - so guys can judge whether they think they can be of help or not.

• Advertisement

Well, if anyone's potentially interested, PM me and I'll forward on tracks and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tweeky

PM Sent.

What he said ^^

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

As others have said above, mixing isn't a magic bullet. It can bring out the sparkle and fizz but can't create it most of the time.

Your money might be better spent other ways e.g. getting drums properly recorded in a studio; getting phase relationships right can be tricky if you don't know exactly what you are doing when dealing with multiple mic set ups and most of the time drum sounds are about recording the sound of the room that the drums are being played in as opposed to the drums themselves. I'm not saying that good drum sounds can't be gotten in unconventional circumstances/rooms, but the chances are you might not have access to such a room. A not so great sounding drum track is one of those things which lets a lot amatuer/semi-professional recordings down. You get that right and you have something which instantly has more sparkle and fizz.

Though, that said, you might pay someone to mix for you and feel that they brought the last whatever you were looking for to your recording. The opposite might also be true.

• Advertisement

As others have said above, mixing isn't a magic bullet. It can bring out the sparkle and fizz but can't create it most of the time.

Your money might be better spent other ways e.g. getting drums properly recorded in a studio; getting phase relationships right can be tricky if you don't know exactly what you are doing when dealing with multiple mic set ups and most of the time drum sounds are about recording the sound of the room that the drums are being played in as opposed to the drums themselves. I'm not saying that good drum sounds can't be gotten in unconventional circumstances/rooms, but the chances are you might not have access to such a room. A not so great sounding drum track is one of those things which lets a lot amatuer/semi-professional recordings down. You get that right and you have something which instantly has more sparkle and fizz.

Though, that said, you might pay someone to mix for you and feel that they brought the last whatever you were looking for to your recording. The opposite might also be true.

Well, we're electronic - so there's no drum recording!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

HeavyPop wrote: »
    Well, we're electronic - so there's no drum recording!

In which case, demand to hear a sample of the mixer's past work, preferably in your genre.

If the mixer has nothing similar to what you do in their portfolio, and seeing as you are talking about doing a whole album, said mixer should be willing to provide you with a sample of what they can do for you specifically, ideally a rough mix of something of yours. Even if it is just an mp3 of part of one of your tracks what they can do for you should be obvious.

They should also be willing to provide you with an honest appraisal of what you have recorded i.e. whether or not they feel they can get the results you want using the material at hand.

Advertisement