Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No NFL Next Season?

Options
  • 26-01-2011 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

I read somwhere that there might not me an NFL season next year because of the owners and the players arguing over their percentage cut of profits or something.I was wondering if anyone could expand on this?Is it a real possibility?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Its all to do with the collective bargaining agreement set out between the League, Owners and the NFLPA (players association).

There are many different issues; Salary Caps, profits from games, trading/franchising players, Rookie salaries, extension of league season, insurance of retired players.

From what I've gathered is that the Owners don't think they're getting a good deal for the amount of money they've invested and that they're not recieving a fair share of the revenue.

The players are saying that they're the ones doing the job, taking the risk to their bodies, that owners are trying to exploit them etc.

Thats what I've gathered from it, but there is a helluva lot more to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

It's bloody complicated as shíte but the main sticking points, so to speak, appear to be the implementation of a new salary cap, a rookie salary cap to prevent unproven players becoming millionaires without playing a down and a proposed extension of the regular season from 16 to 18 games.

Hard to say what'll happen, but i'd be surprised if there's no season next year as both sides have too much to lose. I'd imagine it'll be sorted out at some point in the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

As late as this summer?
    I was under the impression that the deadline was March though I'm open to being corrected

It's very complicated anyway. Proposals on the rookie cap and more medical insurance for retired players make sense.
    But others are tough. Like the Ravens owner went on record that 80% of income goes on salary, 140 staff and then the players.
    And the union will claim it's their members taking the risks and making money
    A lot of fights, press releases, media posturing and more expected from both sides over the coming months

I do listen to the ESPN football today podcast, once we hit off season they'll be good for updates

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

As late as this summer?
    I was under the impression that the deadline was March though I'm open to being corrected

It's very complicated anyway. Proposals on the rookie cap and more medical insurance for retired players make sense.
    But others are tough. Like the Ravens owner went on record that 80% of income goes on salary, 140 staff and then the players.
    And the union will claim it's their members taking the risks and making money
    A lot of fights, press releases, media posturing and more expected from both sides over the coming months

I do listen to the ESPN football today podcast, once we hit off season they'll be good for updates

The current agreement expires in march yeah. Drafting and implementing a new one would take it at least into the summer i would say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

It seems like typical sod's law that the NFL has its most exciting and its most unpredictable season to date and, while I don't want to jinx it, the Super Bowl looks set to have one of the most exciting matchups ever (Even though I'm a Giants fan, I have to admit that the Steelers and Packers probably have the two best fan bases in the NFL). This new CBA is the big elephant in the room and will really begin to show its ugly head after the final whistle blows on Sunday. However, the NFL has done some tough negotiations in the past and I'd be hopeful that they can work something out eventually before the new season starts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement