Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting weight on rescue dog.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

While your intentions are probably good, why are you so anxious to put weight on your dog? Can I ask you how long you have the dog, what type of breed is the dog, is the dog neutered and is it eating well since you got him/her?
    I have two rescue dogs. Both were horribly scrawny when I got them but over the first few month on a good and balanced diet they both began to thrive and put on weight naturally.
    I dont believe that trying to fatten up a dog is a good thing to do. Its far better to feed them a good quality food and let nature take its course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

With a skinny dog you also run the risk of causing diarrhoea with high calorie food as often the digestive tract needs time to recover from *lean* times. Molasses contains lots of sugar and as a dog metabolises sugar way different from humans you can actually cause more damage.

I am with Shazanne on this, having nursed back many a skinny and emaciated dog from the brink I think less is more and a balanced diet and time will do the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Ok, thanks guys, I'll leave him as he is going for another while. He's a doberman, male (intact). Have him since beginning of Dec. He is putting weight on but still seems so skinny, just reading up on it and thought it might help.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Ok, thanks guys, I'll leave him as he is going for another while. He's a doberman, male (intact). Have him since beginning of Dec. He is putting weight on but still seems so skinny, just reading up on it and thought it might help.

Thanks again.

I've found that puppy food is great for helping them put weight on, but broken down into 4 meals a day, lets them digest it. A lot of times as well with rescue dogs, its muscle wastage that makes them look really skinny, with food and exercise, its amazing how quickly they can turn around.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Hi Ruby - that doggy is luck to have a new owner like you! I forgot to compliment you on rescuing him - well done to you:)
    And, just as a after thought to my post above - don't forget to worm him as worms can hold them back even on the best of diets.
    Take care and good luck;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement