Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Sportive Advice

Options
  • 25-01-2011 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi. Did the Etape Hibernia in the Burren last year and loved it. Want to do more sportives this year. What are the best ones to do? Is there a website that everyone posts their events on (struggling to pick Sportives out from races on the Cycling Ireland website).

Finally, love the idea of cycling through Connemara. Is there a good cycle anyone recommends.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

You should find most of what you want in here, just scroll through the months and see what you fancy, cheers

http://www.irishcycling.com/events/calendar/whats-on.php

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

If you are prepared to go to the continent, La Marmotte takes in the sacred climbs. Great day on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Heres the boards list from the wiki, there was talks of up grading it recently but this is it atm, enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Needalift

thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Thanks thebouldwhacker, super list, i can start booking days off from work now for recovery time lol :D Any dates on the skt and cork rebel tour yet as haven't seen anything definite? just registered for the west cork 200 so better ramp up the training,:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

Heres the boards list from the wiki, there was talks of up grading it recently but this is it atm, enjoy

thanks, could be getting familiar with a pink elephant soon then !

Yea, fingers crossed, I was to do it last year but I was ill so I missed it. I'm all over the place this year with work but if things go well it should be a bit calmer by then:)

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Needalift wrote: »
    ...struggling to pick Sportives out from races on the Cycling Ireland website...

You know they have a calendar with just the Leisure events on it?
    What are the best ones to do?

Try the Mick Byrne, Tour de Kilkenny (my favourite from last year), Orwell Sportive, and if you're not into climbing, the Tour of Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Hi. Did the Etape Hibernia in the Burren last year and loved it. Want to do more sportives this year. What are the best ones to do? Is there a website that everyone posts their events on (struggling to pick Sportives out from races on the Cycling Ireland website).

Finally, love the idea of cycling through Connemara. Is there a good cycle anyone recommends.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Neither of the Galway clubs run a sportive in the area.
    The Croi Lap of the Corrib May 22nd. 75 miles Great Fun.(dont be put off by fund raising requirements they take what you give on day)
    Cornamona 50(Maam and Inagh valley's loop) June 18th(same day as An Post Tour de Burren)
    Western Lakes Polka Dot July 16th 180km,120km,80k.( Only a bit in Galway)
    Are the nearest you will get to organised cycles in Connemara Area.
    Otherwise its a matter of getting a map and looking at where you want to go

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

Esroh wrote: »
    Neither of the Galway clubs run a sportive in the area.
    The Croi Lap of the Corrib May 22nd. 75 miles Great Fun.(dont be put off by fund raising requirements they take what you give on day)
    Cornamona 50(Maam and Inagh valley's loop) June 18th(same day as An Post Tour de Burren)
    Western Lakes Polka Dot July 16th 180km,120km,80k.( Only a bit in Galway)
    Are the nearest you will get to organised cycles in Connemara Area.
    Otherwise its a matter of getting a map and looking at where you want to go

The Western Lake Polkadot is a really spectacular route. If you do the 180k you *will* be seeing polkadots :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 theotherone

Aware have a cycle over a lovely route. Good sambo's and nice people

http://www.aware.ie/site/comments/connemara_cycle/

Yea, fingers crossed, I was to do it last year but I was ill so I missed it. I'm all over the place this year with work but if things go well it should be a bit calmer by then:)

afraid it looks like the pink elephant has gone to northern climes.

What you talking about Wilis?
    26/3/11 PINK ELEPHANT 200 08.00HRS MIDLETON Organiser; Kevin O’Sullivan
    Contact; mkos@O2.ie / 086 813 7006 Organising club Midleton C.C

Have you heard different?

What you talking about Wilis?
    Have you heard different?

Cycling Ireland website http://www.cyclingireland.ie/Home/Leisure/Calendar.aspx
    :confused:
    Audax Pink Elephant 200
    WhenSaturday, Mar 26, 2011
    DescriptionContact Kevin O Sullivan @ 02889 521 681 Event Info: 110k,10.30am ,10.30am Clogher Valley Golf Club

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

seve65 wrote: »

That calendar seems to be fundamentally wrong. E.g the signon for the Tour de Burren is in Lisburn Leisureplex, the Tour de Kilkenny signon is in Coleraine, the Tour of Sligo signon is in Tipperary, the Tour of Mayo signon is in Slane ... and so on.

The dates and names appear to be correct however.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I can confirm the Tour de Kilkenny will be starting in Coleraine. The club feels due to the popularity of the event, it's time to bring it outside the county.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Ah right, I was looking at Adaux Ireland web site which states its going ahead as normal:)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭karlmyson

It wouldn't really qualify as the Pink Elephant 200 if you didn't cycle past the eponymous restaurant. Must be a mistake. Recommend it as a good day out on the bike btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Yes, there must be something wrong with the Cycling Ireland database, I think - the Pink Elephant 200 definitely starts from Midleton. I highly recommend Kevin's 300 too, the Borlin 300 at the end of April - I'm working the day of the Pink Elephant but I should be down for the Borlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Aware have a cycle over a lovely route. Good sambo's and nice people

http://www.aware.ie/site/comments/connemara_cycle/

Any idea of what the routes are for this cycle?

• Advertisement

shamwari wrote: »
    Any idea of what the routes are for this cycle?

Bump!

Fine - I'll get the route myself so......:D

http://www.aware.ie/images/uploads/connemara_cycle_routes.png

Advertisement