Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utopia hybrid - thoughts

Options
  • 25-01-2011 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

About to buy one of these Gary Fischer utopia (site unseen) in lbs. Have looked at roam xr3 trek 8500 specialized crosstrail all around 699-850 - getting the utopia for 699 - which leaves me some room for a few bits and bobs (bike to work scheme). Can't use halfords so no boardman.

I want - lockable shocks, 9 speed, disc brakes (mechanical are fine) ....

Will be using this bike for commuting, and some adventure races (Connemarra) and maybe Gael Force (or might do that on the road bike again - not decided)

Anyone have any opinions on the utopia? Not much on the web about them. I've seen some of the Fischer mtbs and they look nice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That's a mountain bike, surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭padlad

going to do most of it's cycling on what passes for roads round my way, and light mountain trails.....hybrid seems ideal for this no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Has 700c wheels. Now I'm just confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Black Bloc

Personally, I don't find mountain bikes comfortable for long road distances. Heavy wide tires mean more road resistance. Their frames are desiged for a lot of off-saddle riding and their gears are generally lower than those on a road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Black Bloc

Didn't look at the Trek site you embedded. Seems more hybrid than full MTB (700 wheels). So probably will meet most of your needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Black Bloc wrote: »
    Didn't look at the Trek site you embedded. Seems more hybrid than full MTB (700 wheels). So probably will meet most of your needs.

It's not a hybrid, it's a 29er mountain bike. :)

works for me :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I ride a very similar Kelly hybrid, e.g. lockable suspension, 700x38c tyres, same frame geometry, similar Deore gearset. While I love this bike, and have done good distances on it, I reckon it uses a fair amount of extra energy to do the same spin as a similar road bike, which really tells when your gasping to keep up with a group. From recent threads, I reckon its a good winter bike. I certainly find it good on Coilte tracks, unpaved bohereens etc... which is the only time you need the suspension. If you're racing on paved surfaces, I'm guessing this bike will slow you down. The more upright position can also lead to a sore a$$ for very long spins, e.g. for me after 4-5 hours I'm taking a lot of weight off my butt and standing in the pedals a fair bit.

I'll be using the road bike for long rides. This for commuting and races with off road sections. Went ahead and ordered it, hope it works out ;)

Advertisement