Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new wheelset and stem

Options
  • 25-01-2011 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭

looking to get a new set of wheel for my planet x (2009 old decals) model.

currently riding on the Model C wheelset and kind of grown bored of how clunky they feel (to me anyways). was looking around on bike24 and was thinking about these are they any good? looking for shimano 10speed as i have the ultegra 6700 groupset.

looking to spend max 500 euro.

second of all i'm looking at getting a new stem. currently have a 90mm stem which i kind of find my arms are too bent whilst positioned naturally on the bike. was looking at the 100mm version of this will the spacers i have with my planet x still be ok with the ritchey stem or will i have to buy more?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Excellent wheels but cheaper here with 10% off and free postage to Ireland. Also consider the Shimano wheels here. A little over budget but great reviews or if not the RS80 which have same rim but Ultegra hubs. Great prices with 10% off and free delivery:)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

second of all i'm looking at getting a new stem. currently have a 90mm stem which i kind of find my arms are too bent whilst positioned naturally on the bike. was looking at the 100mm version of this will the spacers i have with my planet x still be ok with the ritchey stem or will i have to buy more?

Depends on the stack height of the stem. They're mostly the same, but if it varies by more than a mm or two you'll need to buy some individual spacers to get the headset compression right.

I personally wouldn't bother with a carbon wrapped stem.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

sweet was buying a few more things basket comes to 710 euro on merlin with mavic wheels and ritchey stem, same basket on bike24 is 800, you know when this 10% offer is over?

Lumen wrote: »
    Depends on the stack height of the stem. They're mostly the same, but if it varies by more than a mm or two you'll need to buy some individual spacers to get the headset compression right.

cheers lumen, why wouldn't you bother with a carbon stem, is there not much of a difference? i thought a carbon stem would help dampen road vibrations more.

what you think of this stem

i'll check the stack height of the stem i have when i get to the bike this is my current stem

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I would, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

All good suggestions, but you could go cheaper too if you wanted. Pro-Lite Braccianno wheels from Ribble and then get yourself a Pro PLT or Pro Vibe stem, aluminium if you want, or carbon wrap if you must.

A carbon stem won't damped road vibration and tend to be overpriced and often overweight compared to their aluminium counterparts. A carbon wrapped stem is really just an aluminium stem that looks prettier. Carbon wrap is little more than a paintjob, or wallpaper if you prefer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭treborm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

sy wrote: »
    Also consider the Shimano wheels here. A little over budget but great reviews

Quite....

Star Rating: 5 Review By brinkly adams, Rides to Race:
    there cloodles !! climbing is westick and very rupert like. You sometimes end up in the shrubbery but cest la vie - the end result is brocklee and quilly only dresticular could stop you now - occasionally downhill showing occurrs but never with taste and you are usually so far ahead anyway. tyres, reccomended or the rim stinkular will have you widdling all over the please me otherwise. kerpoodlewicker was using them leakley and found them roadsound but experimentals were talentless. all in all frustablie and housetooth for us all

http://www.bicycling.com/gear/detail/0,7989,s1-17-150-2292-0,00.html

But seriously, the proper reviews are good. I'm tempted myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

treborm wrote: »

They don't seem to deliver to Ireland or the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

cheers lumen, why wouldn't you bother with a carbon stem, is there not much of a difference? i thought a carbon stem would help dampen road vibrations more.

It's not a carbon stem. It's an alloy stem wrapped in a veneer of carbon fibre.

So it's no lighter and the mechanical properties are the same.

There are better criteria for stem choosing, like something that matches your other finishing kit.

It's not a carbon stem. It's an alloy stem wrapped in a veneer of carbon fibre.

So it's no lighter and the mechanical properties are the same.

There are better criteria for stem choosing, like something that matches your other finishing kit.

ah i didn't realise it was veneered, i guess that makes perfect sense in the grand scheme of things.

think i'll get this stem as it will go with my white saddle ;).

as for the wheels as to the other suggestions the shimano wheels are a little too pricey for me, wouldn't mind a few more suggestions on the wheels though or a few more nudges (i.e. whip out the credit card and buy ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

They don't seem to deliver to Ireland or the UK.

They do deliver to Ireland. Email them for a quote.

jdt101 wrote: »
    They do deliver to Ireland. Email them for a quote.
    will mail them tomorrow, would the dura ace wheels be a better set than the mavic's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭cantalach

Re the wheels, I'm on Ksyrium Elites and can't really fault them. However...

You should check out the Pro-Lite Bracciano wheels. In a pretty extensive wheel review by Cycling Plus magazine, they outscored much more expensive wheels from Mavic, Campagnolo, Fulcrum, Easton, etc. If you Google it you'll see that it gets very good reviews elsewhere too.

I don't know where you're living, but Cork Bicycle Services sell them for €360 (go here and scroll down).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I'm more or less in the same position, but don't know if I can afford 500 on a new set of wheels at the moment. I'm riding a Planet X, and after just under 5000 kms the Model C wheels are shot. Well the back wheel is. I'd be looking at maybe 300 Euro. I'd love a set of the Ksyrium Elite, but the budget won't stretch.

Any opinions on the Ksyrium Equipe, Easton EA50SL, and Fulcrum 5? I think they're around my price range

My previous wheels didn't last too long, I'm around 80Kgs, 5' 10'' on a medium Planet X, must be riding it fairly hard on those crappy roads.

Advertisement