Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race wheels

Options
  • 25-01-2011 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Have been thinking about investing in a nice set of tubula race wheels to replace my Mavic Krysium SL's. I had been thinking about going for set of Bora's or Corima aero's but the more I see of the roads after all the snow and frost the more I think I'd be better going for a set of boomproof hand built tubulars. What do the guys on here who race think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Boras or Zipps for racing.

End of. Close thread.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

tbh tubs are a lot of hassle.(gluing correctly, punctures etc.)

I'd get clinchers and a good set of tyres.

Timmy Barry(The Edge) won Ras Mumhan last year with Cosmic Carbon clinchers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

gerryr36 wrote: »
    Have been thinking about investing in a nice set of tubula race wheels to replace my Mavic Krysium SL's. I had been thinking about going for set of Bora's or Corima aero's but the more I see of the roads after all the snow and frost the more I think I'd be better going for a set of boomproof hand built tubulars. What do the guys on here who race think?

What about a pair of Mavic Krysium SL's for tubular tyres???
    Or maybe if you want a light weight aero wheel, Zipp 303 as used in Paris roubaix....Or the slightly deeper Zipp 404...
    The mavic cosmic carbon SL wheels weigh a ton front 780g rear 960g
    They are ok for fellas riding sportif events...who wanna look cool:D

A Zipp 404 tubular front wheel weighs 582g and the rear is 696g

Mavic cosmic carbon tubular SL= 1740g:(
    Zipp 404 tubular....................=1278g:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Mavic cosmic carbon tubular SL= 1740g:(
    Zipp 404 tubular....................=1278g:D
    FYP
    Mavic cosmic carbon tubular SL= €750 :D
    Zipp 404 tubular....................= €1750:(

Considering our roads....... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

What about a pair of Mavic Krysium SL's for tubular tyres???
    Does such a thing even exist? If so, why? It'd seem pointless having a tubular type on a shallow rimmed alu wheel, no? Perhaps you were joking SurferDude41.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lemag wrote: »
    Does such a thing even exist? If so, why? It'd seem pointless having a tubular type on a shallow rimmed alu wheel, no?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55206

Weight: 1370 grams, front wheel: 605 grams, rear wheel ED11: 765 grams, pair of wheel with tyre (WTS): 1994 grams, front wheel with tyre (WTS): 917 grams, rear wheel ED11 with tyre (WTS): 1077 grams

If I was racing in a bunch with support, I'd rather have a tubular. If you're getting a spare wheel anyway it makes no difference how the tyre is mounted, but a tub is safer to ride. Apparently. I'm too slow for this ever to be an issue.

Advertisement