Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im 2 years Sober and always happy to share, how im carrying on down the path of sobri

Options
  • 25-01-2011 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey, Im two years sober. I do use the '12 steps ' thats used in 'AA' but with a little tweaking! Im female, 32 and live in Spain. I was a Geographical Alcoholic, but found my sobriety in Spain in a Rehab Centre. I see loads of 'so what do you do if you dont drink' and the funny thing is i 'remember' I never remembered anything when I was drinking. I was a chronic alcoholic and became homeless in the UK, then I went all over the world. Done some AA in Holland and now work a treatment centre in Spain.

Yes atreatment centre, but Im here to give free advice to anyone that needs it!! all jokes on being a recoverying alcoholic, are for sure welcome!

Im sober so Im laughing now, happy, and can wake up without wondering what I done last night and what lie can i tell my boss so i can have a day off to cure my hangoaver...with a morning drink!!!

Im Free

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Well done on your 2 years sobriety, Its a great free feeling to have after the horrible addiction we have gone through,I dont do AA anymore but at the start of this journey i did attend meetings in which i took out what i needed for myself,so i would never knock it,Goodluck on your future path,Ps 2 years alcohol free myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

last poster can't see the light yet,

once a alki always always an alki, there is no way going back yes the 12 step works but y-stop going to meetings you are back on it maybe not today or next day or two years but yes ,over and over again they relapse this is for life not for today ,today i did not drink, who knows tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

DERICKOO wrote: »

once a alki always always an alki, there is no way going back yes the 12 step works but y-stop going to meetings you are back on it maybe not today or next day or two years but yes ,over and over again they relapse this is for life not for today ,today i did not drink, who knows tomorrow.

730 Days is a long long time to not have a single drop of alcohol, so fairplay to the two above posters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sobervillage

Thankyou for your reply.

Congratulations on your 2 yrs. It must be said that they say try the 12 steps and if it doesnt work then there are other methods of recovery as long as you know 1)Where you are in terms of your recovery (how stable your recovery is, how confident you are in your new life, how positive your attitude is and 2)what actually works for you and helps you stay sober,and what does not.

I use the 12 steps but we are not religous on it, and we are very aware on the 'God' aspect in the 12 steps that can scare people off.

At the centre we do morning readings and everyone loves them! We read 'just for today' and something out of 'as Bill see's it' now they are not 12 step proceedings but they really work here for us. We get to talk individually about them in the group and also we get to remember in the morning how to start the day!!

check us out on facebook either sobervillage or me clare volland

We love new members to join and participate and most of all we are always here for eachother.

PS my mother has 20 yrs sobriety and hasnt gone to AA, its that gut instinct you just go with that...12 steps isnt the only way to recovery..your gut instinct will help you and if you listen then you'll be just fine.

pps Also as my boyfriend whos in recovery pointed out to me AA meetings differ everywhere, you can go to one with 50 people and its the best god dam atmosphere you've ever expereinced, then go to a another in another city or town and it could be just 2 people there with 10 yrs sobriety and no new fresh people..and to behonest the 2nd one can be off putting and if thats the only aa meeting near you then im sure I to would look else where!!!!!

Clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Chill out derickoo, i never said i was cured or not still an alcoholic, i no iam and i can deal with that now,I do take it one hour one day at a time,AA is not the only way to stop drinking and has i have said before every body to own in how they beat this beast,
    And just for the record to the best of my ability i still have no craving or want to ever to go back drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Sounds like you knocked back a few yourself there!

I don't think everyone who had a drink problem needs to go to those meetings for life.. surely that's just an addiction to meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 choppermann

Haven't had a drink in almost 16 yrs and don't go to meetings.
    I did meetings but can't get past the religious aspect.
    I have friends that go and occasionally I will go to support them but it's not for me.
    I'm neither for the program nor against it but if it works for you than it's all good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Johnny Favourite

This attitude is the exact reason i left AA. Could not stand the zealous attitude. They just cannot deal with seeing people getting sober outside of AA when all they have done is swapped one addiction for another.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Haven't had a drink in almost 16 yrs and don't go to meetings.
    I did meetings but can't get past the religious aspect.
    I have friends that go and occasionally I will go to support them but it's not for me.
    I'm neither for the program nor against it but if it works for you than it's all good

To be fair, the "religious" aspect does put alot of people off, but in reality it is not religion that is the core of the program but spirituality. You can still be agnostic and grow spiritually. It is something that I couldn't get for a long time.
    This attitude is the exact reason i left AA. Could not stand the zealous attitude. They just cannot deal with seeing people getting sober outside of AA when all they have done is swapped one addiction for another.

I haven't experienced that TBH, but I pick my meetings carefully. If I dont feel comfortable with a group then I dont go.

All said, I dont have a craving for alcohol (today) but I go to the meetings to learn about and follow the program for living. It's not ALL about staying away from drink, but how to live a happy life too. I know that I personally have benefited and those close to me are happier too.

BTW, congrats OP on your two years. Keep it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 choppermann

Satanta wrote: »
    To be fair, the "religious" aspect does put alot of people off, but in reality it is not religion that is the core of the program but spirituality. You can still be agnostic and grow spiritually. It is something that I couldn't get for a long time.

Unfortunately stateside that isn't the case.
    Over the years it has become a lot more religious in the meetings with emphasis on the 4th step prayer and ending all meetings with the lords prayer.
    That is religious no matter how you look at it.
    Nothing wrong with that but call it what it is, it's just not for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bitter

That is cult-speak

Advertisement