Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Year Arts- Greek and Roman Civ

Options
  • 25-01-2011 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or is the failure rate excessively high for the christmas test in Greek and Roman Civ? 94 out of 137 people failed. I presume the department will take this into account given that it's supposed to be worth 25% of our overall mark..... :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the failure rate excessively high for the christmas test in Greek and Roman Civ? 94 out of 137 people failed. I presume the department will take this into account given that it's supposed to be worth 25% of our overall mark..... :D

Nope. It just means 94 out of 137 people didn't bother their ass. There is no excuse, apart from illness etc, for failing an exam in first year. In my eyes, first year is a good way to get rid of dead weight. Once you get into second year you'll notice a pretty substantial drop in numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Byron85 wrote: »
    Nope. It just means 94 out of 137 people didn't bother their ass. There is no excuse, apart from illness etc, for failing an exam in first year. In my eyes, first year is a good way to get rid of dead weight. Once you get into second year you'll notice a pretty substantial drop in numbers.

I agree with your post but not the highlighted bit. Poor ability or incompetence can be another reason, from personal opinion.

OP, it's the fools who put down GRC as a filler subject and realise 'Oh **** it's much more difficult'. That's precisely it. They underestimate the subject and don't give a crap thinking they'll float it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Guessed as much, thankfully I managed to scrape a pass at least... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

I did Greek and Roman Civilization last year and there was a relatively high pass rate in the Christmas test. Last year they gave us the summer exam questions before study month so we could research them beforehand so I think they're actually quite fair. It just sounds like you have a bunch of lazy eejits in your class. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭December

Corkfeen wrote: »

I agree it is a high failure rate and no the dept wont take that into with regards to the students. But what I do hope is that they have a look at what sections people failed on and address that situation - as I truly believe we were let down with regards to the standard of teaching in the second half of the Greek term. ;)

I'm also willing to bet that all those who got over 50% did an amazing job in the History section, and only scraped by and got a few points on the culture section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

December wrote: »
    I agree it is a high failure rate and no the dept wont take that into with regards to the students. But what I do hope is that they have a look at what sections people failed on and address that situation - as I truly believe we were let down with regards to the standard of teaching in the second half of the Greek term. ;)

I'm also willing to bet that all those who got over 50% did an amazing job in the History section, and only scraped by and got a few points on the culture section.

I know what you're saying and why you're saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

Did something change in this subject since I did it? Admittedly, it was three years ago (that I did first year G+R - I took it all the way up to final year), but that kind of failure rate is inexplicable. The term-time exams are quite straightforward. There's also a tutorial where the exam format and areas for study are laid out (unless that's been cut.)

On the plus side, again, unless there's been radical changes, you will all be given a copy of the summer exam questions at some point this term. Naturally, they'll expect a higher standard than if they had not given out the questions, but you have plenty of time to prepare and do well.

I'm guessing that Greek and Roman is suffering from the Celtic Civ. curse this year - too many people thinking it's something that they can bluff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Plautus wrote: »
    Did something change in this subject since I did it? Admittedly, it was three years ago (that I did first year G+R - I took it all the way up to final year), but that kind of failure rate is inexplicable. The term-time exams are quite straightforward. There's also a tutorial where the exam format and areas for study are laid out (unless that's been cut.)

On the plus side, again, unless there's been radical changes, you will all be given a copy of the summer exam questions at some point this term. Naturally, they'll expect a higher standard than if they had not given out the questions, but you have plenty of time to prepare and do well.

I'm guessing that Greek and Roman is suffering from the Celtic Civ. curse this year - too many people thinking it's something that they can bluff.

Tutorials have been cut alright and the woman who was lecturing for the second half of the year had never lectured before... ;)

Advertisement