Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat with cloudy eye

Options
  • 25-01-2011 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi guys
    I'm looking for a bit of advice, I have a cat with a cloudy eye his third eye is partially covering too, I brought him to the vet immediately this morning when I noticed it, the vet said it's conjunctivitis and gave me cream to put in and I've to bring him back if he's no better at the weekend! He has no gunk coming out of his eye has anyone ever experienced this? I always thought with conjunctivitis there would be discharge!

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Kenevil wrote: »
    Hi guys
    I'm looking for a bit of advice, I have a cat with a cloudy eye his third eye is partially covering too, I brought him to the vet immediately this morning when I noticed it, the vet said it's conjunctivitis and gave me cream to put in and I've to bring him back if he's no better at the weekend! He has no gunk coming out of his eye has anyone ever experienced this? I always thought with conjunctivitis there would be discharge!

Thanks guys

The girlfriend's cat had much the same symptoms a while back, and it may well be the case that you've just caught it before the discharge stage, because at first her cat was the same as you describe, but in time sure enough there was some discharge.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Kenevil

I'm really hoping it's just that and I've caught it early he's really outta sorts the poor fella :( hope he doesn't pass it on to his brother

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

My kitten had a terrible dose of conjunctivitis over xmas, but this got to the gunky stage. I think you may have just caught it earlier. Although I dont think there has to be discharge for it to be diagnosed.
    My advice is to put those drops in religiously. This is an uncomfortable time for the cat so plenty of love.
    It is also extremely contagious; there is a high chance that the second cat could get it too. I would be against seperating them as this could cause stress (lowers immune system, could make things worse) but maybe check with your vet for advice.
    Any idea what might have caused this? Is it an outdoor cat? Do some googling on the subject. Kitty may have contracted it from another cat, or it could be a symptom of an underlying issue.

Keep a good eye on both cats - if in any doubt at all, or if it doesn't get better, head for your vet. I hope it clears up soon ;)

Thanx a million for your reply poconnor he's already so much better today back to his usual bold self :D

I'm not sure what could gave caused it they're not really outdoor cats (mainly because I'm terrified something could happen to them) we're only back from holiday and they were in a cattery for the week so he may have gotten it from the stress of being away from home lol or dare I say it coming back home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Kenevil that is such good news. :)
    I'd say he might have picked it up in the cattery alright. Once exposed he will always be at risk to get it again. So keep an eye out for it. First sign is usually a bit of winking like this ;) lol
    Dont talk to me about stress from catteries. My one HATES the car and HATES going to the cattery. But I am left with no other choice if I go away. My other little guy isn't a bit bothered by it all, but herself cries all the way there, apparently hides all the time when there and then cries all the way home. I feel like I am being cruel to her. :(

• Advertisement

Oh they really do hate the car don't they if anyone could hear my two they'd think I was killing them :( they seemed to enjoy the cattery tho!

I'll be keeping a close eye (no pun intended :) ) on both of them over the next while!!

Thanx for your advice really appriceate it :)

Advertisement