Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to get OSX running on a PC. Possible??

Options
  • 25-01-2011 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Anyone installed OSX on a PC?

I'm looking to build a new PC as my MacBook Pro is getting slow, but really want to stick with OSX as I find it far superior to windies.

Any experiences/tips/links?

Cheers,

M

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Legality aside, it's not a good idea for a machine you expect to be reliable. Driver issues, updates, power management problems etc will all start to appear. Even a computer geek like me couldn't trust his data with that kind of setup.

You'd be better off not building the PC and getting an iMac or a 2nd hand Mac Pro. The refurb store is another place to look.

(And I've built a fair few PC's in my time from scratch)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

:(

Lifehacker have a very good tutorial on it. It seems very easy to do no?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Relatively easy - maybe.

But I bet that the machine adam pash made was not his main machine or even one of his main ones so its much different in real life for a normal person to do.

Try a second hand mac, refurb or a pc with a linux distro or windows 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

I've done it before. Not worth the hassel to be honest.

It breaks a lot. You will get in over your head if your not familiar with the inner workings.

Major mac updates tend to break it aswell!

Also I don't think you can talk about it round here!

Ok you've convinced me. I might look at an iMac for the telly a few years down the line or something!

• Advertisement

Any problems/bad experiences with it? Could you post your set-up?

thnx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If you buy the right hardware, i.e. Similar to a real Mac , then you stand a chance. I have a Core2Quad 2.66GHz that I hardly use because I see it more of an experiment than a serious reliable machine to trust my thousands of photos with.

It's an interesting project and satisfying when you get it to work but you never really trust it, at least that's been my experience of it.

Oh and it's highly illegal too ;)

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Morf3h wrote: »
    I'm looking to build a new PC as my MacBook Pro is getting slow

Why is it getting slow? Might be worth backing your data up to an external drive and formatting the Macbook drive and reinstalling OSX.

stimpson wrote: »
    Why is it getting slow? Might be worth backing your data up to an external drive and formatting the Macbook drive and reinstalling OSX.

Hmmm I've got everything on a time machine backup. Could i use something like carbon copy cloner that clones your drive onto an external usb. and copy it back over from there? Or just reinstall and restore from time machine backup?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I mean doing a fresh install to clear out all the old crap you installed but never use. If you've got a time machine backup then you can always pull your data from there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

Morf3h wrote: »
    Any problems/bad experiences with it? Could you post your set-up?

thnx

I'm running OSX guest on Linux host using VirtualBox. Very happy with the setup considering it's a virtual machine. You'll need lots of memory though. I have 2GB of my 5GB dedicated to Mac OSX which works much better than when I only had 1GB dedicated to it.

Issues:

- only one screen size/resolution (doesn't really bother me)
    - power management (need to turn off screensaver or the thing might freeze!)
    - no audio (although I don't think it's hard to fix this once you get the right kext - you can be lucky if the default one works with your hardware)

I can develop iPhone apps and run them on the simulator no problem. I don't think I'd attempt to publish on the app store using a Hackintosh - I'll use my friend's Mac for that...

I've also installed Hackintosh on a partition (I had a triple-boot machine - Linux, Windows and Mac at one stage). I wasn't very happy with this. I much prefer the virtual machine setup. VirtualBox Windows 7 works perfectly in full-screen mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055167650
    -No Warez, Hackz, Appz or Crackz (advice/sourcing or discussion), software or operating system (hackintosh etc)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement